All entries for Kilcredane



Kilcredane

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kerry

KILCREDANE

KILCREDANE, or KILSHIDEEN (commonly called KILKNEEDAN), a parish, in the barony of MAGONIHY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 4? miles (N. by W.) from Killarney, on the old road toTralee ; containing 782 inhabitants, and comprising 3650 statute acres, mostly in tillage and of good quality. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, forming part of the union of Molahiffe ; the rectory is impropriate in the Crosbie family. The tithes, amounting to #73. 16. 10., are payable in equal portions to the impropriator and the vicar. The towalands of East and West Inchicarriganes and Aughnablaha pay half tithes with the parish of Kilcummin. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Fieries ; the chapel at Ballyhar is a modern building. About 80 children are educated in two private schools. On an eminence overhanging the Gheestan river, which bounds the parish on the north-east, are the ruins of the old church.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019