All entries for Magheracross



Magheracross

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Fermanagh

BALLYNAMALLARD

BALLYNAMALLARD, a village, in the parish of MAGHERACROSS, barony of TYRKENNEDY, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 5? miles (N. by E.) from Enniskillen, on the road to Omagh; containing 72 houses and 323 inhabitants. It is a constabulary police station; and has fairs on Feb. 12th, Aug. 5th, and Nov. 28th, of which only the first is kept and is a good fair for horses. There is a penny post to Enniskillen and Omagh. The parish church is in the village; and there are also places of worship for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists, and a dispensary.-See MAGHERACROSS.

MAGHERACROSS

MAGHERACROSS, a parish, partly in the barony of OMAGH, county of TYRONE, and partly in the barony of LURG, but chiefly in that of TYRKENNEDY, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 5? miles (N. by E.) from Enniskillen, on the road to Omagh ; containing 5313 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 10,452? statute acres, of which 343? are in the barony of Omagh, 170? in Lurg, 71 water, and 7505 are applotted under the tithe act, and valued at #6015. 2. 9. per annum. About 50 acres are woodland, 1500 waste and bog, and the remainder good arable and pasture land ; the soil is fertile, the System of agriculture improved, and there is a good supply of peat for fuel. The principal seats are Jamestown, the residence of G. Lendrum, Esq. ; Crocknacrieve, of H. M. Richardson, Esq. ; and Barn, of the Rev. J. Irwin. A large fair, chiefly for horses, is held on Feb. 12th at Ballinamallard. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to #328. 4. 2. There is no glebe-house ; the glebe comprises 300 acres, valued at #176 per annum. The church is a plain neat edifice in good repair, and was erected about 50 years since. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Whitehall, or Derryvullen ; the chapel is a small thatched building. There are places of worship for Wesleyan and Primitive Wesleyan Methodists in connection with the Established Church, About 400 children are taught in the parochial and six other public schools, of which a female school is supported by G. Lendrum, Esq. ; and there are five private schools, in which are about 200 children ; two Sunday schools, and a dispensary.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019