All Lewis entries for Kilmacomb



Kilmacomb

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Waterford

KILMACOMB

KILMACOMB, a parish, in the barony of GAULTIER, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (S. S. E.) from Waterford ; containing, with the ecclesiastical parish of Rossduff, 785 inhabitants. It comprises 2204 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Woodstown, the seat of Lord Carew, is a short distance from Waterford harbour, and from which a low strand extends about two miles to a projecting headland that separates it from Credan, in which are three caves of considerable dimensions, branching into various chambers consisting of natural arches of great symmetry and beauty: they appear to have been formed by the descent of a stream on the Puddingstone rock. Near Woodstown is a sheet of fresh water, called Bel Lake, which covers about 50 statute acres. In the south-western part there is peat, also the remains of an ancient wood, consisting of fir, oak, and birch. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Waterford, forming part of the union of Ballinakill ; the rectory forms part of the corps of the chancellorship in Waterford cathedral. The tithes amount to £123. 9. 4., of which £74. 1. 7. is payable to the chancellor, and £49. 7. 9. to the vicar. There is a public school, in which about 40 children are educated. On the hill of Kilmacomb is a circle of stones, about 30 yards in diameter, enclosing five large stones.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021