All entries for Kilcorkey



Kilcorkey

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Roscommon

BELANAGARE

BELANAGARE a village, in the parish of KILCORKEY, barony of BALLINTUBBER, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 2 miles (S. by E.) from Frenchpark the population is returned with the parish. This place is situated on the mail coach road from Longford to Ballina, and consists of about 30 houses, of which several are neatly built. It was formerly the residence of the O'Conor Don, who has lately removed to a new lodge in the immediate neighbourhood, since which the village has been neglected and is falling into decay. The old mansion, now in ruins, was an irregular building with numerous gables and tall chimneys, and is surrounded with stately trees. The surrounding scenery is interesting, and the roads leading to the village are shaded by trees growing in the hedge-rows. Fairs are held on Jan. 6th, and the first Wednesdays in March, Aug. and Nov.; the January fair is noted for young horses and pigs. Petty Sessions are held here irregularly. The R. C. parochial chapel is situated in the village, and was built by the late O'Conor Don, in 1819; the roof is covered with sandstone slate found in the neighbourhood. A large school is held in the chapel-See KILCORKEY.

KILCORKEY

KILCORKEY, a parish, in the barony of BALLINTOBBER, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 2 miles (S. E.) from Frenchpark, on the new mail coach road from Longford to Ballina ; containing 2897 inhabitants. It comprises 6102 statute acres, consisting of gently rising grounds intermixed with bogs, and including some excellent pasture, but the land on the banks of the streams that flow into Lough Gara produces rank grass from being frequently inundated. Limestone, freestone, and sandstone are obtained. Belanagare is the seat of E. O'Conor, Esq., and Mount Druid, of M. O'Conor, Esq. It is in the diocese of Elphin ; the rectory forms part of the corps of the precentorship, and the vicarage of the archdeaconry: the tithes amount to #90, and are equally divided between the precentor and the archdeacon. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a chapel at Belanagare. About 170 children are educated in two public, schools, to one of which Lord Mount-Sandford contributes #20 annually, and about 90 in a private school. Here are the ruins of a church and of several raths.-See BELANAGARE.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019