All Lewis entries for Aghaviller



Aghaviller

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kilkenny

AUGHAVILLER

AUGHAVILLER, or AGHAVILLER, a parish, in the barony of KNOCKTOPHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. W.) from Knocktopher, on the road from Kilkenny to Carrick-on-Suir; containing 1887 inhabitants. The farm-houses, being well built and slated, present a neat and comfortable appearance; there is a good freestone quarry in the parish. Castle Morres, the splendid mansion of Harvey de Montmorency, Esq., occupies an elevated site, and has been recently much enlarged and improved. The estate confers the titles of Baron and Viscount Mountmorres in the peerage of Ireland, which are now held by a relation of the present proprietor. Three fairs, called "the fairs of Harvey," are held at Hugginstown. The parish is in the diocese of Ossory, and is a rectory and vicarage, forming part of the union of Knocktopher: the tithes amount to £200. In the R. C. divisions also it is included within the union of Knocktopher, or Ballyhale: it contains two chapels, situated respectively at Newmarket and Hugginstown; in the former is held a Sunday school. Near Castle Morres, within a few yards of the site of the old church, is the lower part of an ancient round tower of breccia, measuring 50 feet in circumference above the base.

HUGGINSTOWN

HUGGINSTOWN, a village, in the parish of AUGHAVILLER, barony of KNOCKTOPHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S.) from Knocktopher, on the road from Newmarket to Mullinavat; containing 56 houses and 283 inhabitants. Cattle fairs, called "the fairs of Harvey," are held here on the 12th of May, Aug., and Nov. There is a R. C. chapel belonging to the union or district of Ballyhale.

NEWMARKET

NEWMARKET, a village, in the parish of AUGHAVILLER, barony of KNOCKTOPHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S.) from Knocktopher, on the road to Carrick-on-Suir ; containing 110 inhabitants. It comprises about 20 houses, and contains one of the two R. C. chapels belonging to the union of Ballyheale. Here are the remains of an ancient round tower and of a castle and abbey, the latter containing the cemetery of the Castlemorris family, whose seat, surrounded by a well-planted demesne of about 400 plantation acres, is in the vicinity. The ruins of the castle consist chiefly of the keep, which attests its former magnitude ; and at Danganinore are the remains of another castle, which formerly gave the title of baron palatine to the family of Comerford, dependents of the Earl of Ormonde. On the summit of an elevation in the vicinity, called the King's mountain, are four great natural ridges, one of red argillite and the rest of breccia ; from this elevation a most extensive view is obtained of the rich and cultivated plain towards Kells and Kilkenny, embracing also part of the county of Waterford.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021