A separate family of the same name arose In Donegal, where they were Lords of Aileach at the head of Lough Swilly. In their case, however, the name was anglicised as Lafferty or Laverty. They were driven from Donegal in the 13th century and settled in Co. Tyrone, near Ardstraw. A separate Laverty family in Ulster, whose name is sometimes rendered as Flaherty, are mainly based in Co. Antrim, and descend from the Scottish MacLavertys, part of the Clan Donald.
Roderick O?Flaherty (1629-1718) was the last Chief of the family, and a celebrated historian. Iar-Connaught, his account of the early history and families of west Connacht is still a major source.
Monsignor James O?Laverty (1828-1906), from Co. Down, was the author of the renowned Historical Account of the Diocese of Down and Connor.
Liam O?Flaherty (1896-1984) is the best known modern bearer of the name. Born on the Aran Island of Inishmore, he had a varied career, including a stint with the British Army during the First World War, before settling to writing. He wrote intense psychological dramas (The Informer, 1925) and historical novels (Famine 1937), but is best known for his short stories, many of which are among the masterpieces of the genre. His cousin Stephen O?Flaherty (1902-1982) was one of the country?s most successful businessmen from the 1940s on, a pioneer of the motor trade.