All entries for Cargin



Cargin

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Galway

CARGAN

CARGAN, or CARRIGIN, a parish, in the barony of CLARE, county of GALWAY, province of Connaught, 3? miles (S.W.) from Headford, on the eastern shore of Lough Corrib; containing 1214 inhabitants. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, and is part of the union of Headford; the tithes amount to #103.10.7. In the R.C. divisions also it forms part of the union or district of Headford. At Ballyconlaght there is a daily pay school of 60 boys and 14 girls.

HEADFORD

HEADFORD, a market and post-town, partly in the parish of KILKILVERY, but chiefly in that of KILLURSA, barony of CLARE, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 16 miles (N.) from Galway, and 107? (W.) from Dublin ; containing 1441 inhabitants. This is a neat and clean town, having been much improved by its proprietor, 11. 3. Mansergh St. George, Esq.; it has a considerable trade, and commands fine views of Lough Corrib, and the mountains of Joyces' country and Mayo. It comprises 217 houses, is a chief constabulary police station, and has petty sessions on Mondays; here is also a dispensary. Bobbin lace, coarse linen, and flannel are made. The market is on Tuesday, and fairs are held on May 11th and Oct. 14th. Headford Castle is the residence of H. I. M. St. George, Esq.; it is a handsome modem building, erected on the ruins of the ancient castle; the extensive demesne, which is laid out with great taste, is entered from the town by a good gateway. Here is also Clydagh House, the seat of G. Staunton Lynch, Esq. In the neighbourhood are several raths; and between the town and the shores of Lough Corrib are the ruins of Ross abbey, partially covered with ivy. It was founded for Observantine Franciscans, in 1498, by Lord Granard, and a chapter of the order was held in it in 1509. At the suppression of religious houses it was granted to the Earl of Clanricarde. In 1604 it was repaired by the Catholics, and in 1812 the roof fell in; one of the windows is still perfect. Within this ruin is the burial-place of the Burke, Kirwan, Browne, and Lynch families. In 1828, silver coins of the reigns from Hen. III. to Win. III., copper coins of Jas. II. and his successor, military weapons and other relics were found near Headford Castle, and are now in the possession of Mr. Harrison.

KILLURSA

KILLURSA, a parish, in the barony of CLARE, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT ; containing, with part of the post-town of Headford, 4612 inhabitants. It is situated on Lough Corrib, and contains a great quantity of bog and limestone. The principal seats are Ower, the residence of J. Burke, Esq. ; Clarren, of J. Brown, Esq. ; and Carnacrow, of W. Skerrett, Esq. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, forming part of the union of Headford ; the tithes amount to #211. 10. 10?. In the R. C. divisions also it forms part of the union or district of Headford, and has a chapel, which was built in 1770 at an expense of #350. About 230 children are educated in three public schools, two of which are entirely supported by R. Mansergh St. George, Esq., and the rector, and to the other J. Burke, Esq., has given half an acre of land rent-free ; and about 280 in six private schools. Sir George Leonard Staunton, Bart., secretary to the British embassy to China, in 1793, of which he published an account, was a native of this place. Some battle-axes and javelins were found here a few years since.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019