All entries for Derryvullan



Derryvullan

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Fermanagh

DERRYVULLEN

DERRYVULLEN, a parish, partly in the barony of TYRKENNEDY, but chiefly in that of LURG, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, on the road from Enniskillen to Kesh ; containing, with the post-town of Irvinestown, 10,646 inhabitants, This parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey (including islands and detached portions), 23,645? statute acres, of which 15,070? are in the barony of Lurg, 2576? acres are in Lower Lough Erne, and 571 in small loughs. It is in six detached parts, which are severally on the roads from Enniskillen to Pettigoe, Lisnaskea, Tempo, Ballynamallard, and Irvinestown, and from Maguire's-bridge to Florence-Court: this last portion includes part of Eanismore island, half of which is in this parish and the remainder in Cleenish. The land is of middling quality, and the state of agriculture improving ; the arable land is estimated to comprise 12,000 acres, and there are 500 acres of bog, The gentlemen's seats are Castle Archdall, the residence of Gen. Archdall ; Rosfad, of J. Richardson, Esq. ; Doraville, of Capt. H. Irvine ; and Riverstown, of C. Archdall, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Provost and Fellows of Trinity College, Dublin: the tithes amount to #606. 8. 9?. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 600 acres. The church is at Irvinestown (which see), and there is a chapel of ease on the road from Enniskillen to Lisnaskea, In the R. C. divisions the parish is partly in the union or district of Enniskillen, and partly the head of a district, called Whitehill; it contains three plain chapels at Lisson, Whitehill, and Lissaroe. The Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists have each a place of worship. The parochial school-house was given by the Earl of Belmore ; there are also eight other schools, in which about 460 boys and 300 girls are educated ; about 270 boys and 140 girls are taught in nine private schools, and there are five Sunday schools.- See IRVINESTOWN.

IRVINESTOWN

IRVINESTOWN, or LOWTHERSTOWN, a market and post-town, in that part of the parish of DERRYVULLEN which is in the barony of LURG, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 7? miles (N. W.) from Enniskillen, and 88? (S. W.) from Dublin, on the road from Enniskillen to Kesh; containing 1047 inhabitants. It consists of one street of 217 houses, and contains the parish church, a handsome modern building with a spire, erected in 1831, at an expense of #2300 of which #1385 was granted as a loan by the late Board of First Fruits. There are also two Methodist meeting- houses, a school on Erasmus Smith's foundation, and a dispensary. It is a constabulary police station, and petty sessions are held on alternate Wednesdays. The market is on Wednesday, and fairs are held on the 8th of each month and on the 12th of April

LISNARRICK

LISNARRICK, a village, in the parish of DERRYVULLEN, barony of LURG, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 3? miles (S.) from Kesh, on the road to Enniskillen ; containing 171 inhabitants. It consists of three rows of irregularly built houses, disposed in a triangular form ; and has fairs on Jan. 12th, on the 22nd of Jan., Feb., and March, April 5th, May 9th and 23rd, 22nd of June and July, and Oct. 15th, for general farming stock.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019