All entries for Killester



Killester

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Dublin

KILLESTER

KILLESTER, a parish, in the barony of COOLOCK, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (N. E.) from Dublin ; containing 113 inhabitants, and 228 statute acres, This parish commands fine views of the Dublin and Wicklow mountains, and of the bay of Dublin, and contains several seats, the principal of which are Killester House, the property of Gen. Luscombe, in which are incorporated the remains of an old abbey, and in the demesne is a fine grove of lime trees ; Maryville, the seat of A. Barlow, Esq., Woodville, of J. Bingham, Esq. ; Hollybrook House, of W. McDougall, Esq. ; Hollybrook Park, of G. Symes, Esq. ; Killester Lodge, of G. Wilson, Esq. ; Clontarf Strand, of J. Chambers, Esq. ; and Oatley, of G. Farran, Esq. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Dublin, appropriate to the economy estate of Christ-Church cathedral, Dublin, the tithes of which amount to #21. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Clontarf. There are some remains of the church, which, from its circular arches, appears to be very ancient. About 35 children are educated in a public school, and there is also a Sunday school.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019