All Lewis entries for Kilmacdonogh



Kilmacdonogh

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork

CAPELL

CAPELL, or CABLE ISLAND, in the parish of KILMACDONOUGH, barony of IMOKILLY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (S.) from Youghal. This island, which is uninhabited, lies at the entrance to Youghal bay, off Ring Point, in lat. 51&£186; 53' 30", and lon. 7&£186; 51' 30". Being high and precipitous, it is difficult of access, except in calm weather; its south-western side has been much excavated by the waves, and at the base of some of the cliffs are huge detached masses of rock. It is the property of the Marquess of Thomond, and contains about 30 acres of excellent pasturage for sheep. Its elevation and central position point it out as an admirable situation for a lighthouse, which would be of great benefit to vessels entering Youghal bay and to the trade of Cork harbour. On this island the Capells, or Supples, as they are called in Irish, are said to have landed at the period of the first English invasion, and from them it takes its name, although it is laid down in most charts and maps as Cable Island; but so early as the reign of Rich. III., and frequently since, it is mentioned in the charters of Youghal as Capell Island, having been made one of the boundaries of the admiralty jurisdiction and port of Youghal, as well by land as by water.

KILMACDONOUGH

KILMACDONOUGH, a parish, in the barony of IMOKILLY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 3- miles (S. W.) from Youghal ; containing 3446 inhabitants. It forms a peninsula on the south-western side of Youghal bay, and comprises 6065 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £5653 per annum. Its general aspect is hilly and the coast bold and rocky. At the extremity is Ring Point, about half a mile from which is Capell Island, which is separately described. The small village of Ballymacoda is situated about a mile from the coast, on an inlet of the bay, from which at low water a great quantity of sand is obtained. In the parish are a coast-guard station, a signal tower, and a dispensary. The principal seats are Ballykin nelly, the residence of Capt. Fitzgerald, R.N., which was formerly a religious establishment; Ring, of J. McCarthy, Esq. ; and Greenland, of G. Gaggin, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, forming part of the uniou of Kileredan: the rectory forms the corps of the pre-bend of Kilmacdonough in the cathedral of Cloyne. The tithes amount to £1012. 15., of which £675. 3. 4. is payable to the prebendary, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, called Ballymacoda, which includes the parishes of Kilmacdonough, Kileredan, Ightermurragh, Bohillane, and Kilmahon, and contains chapels at Ballymacoda, Lady's-Bridge, and Shanagary. About 40 children are educated in a school aided by the parish priest, and about 50 in a private school ; there is also a Sunday school supported by the rector. Here are the ruins of Ballymacoda castle, which is said to have been built by Thomas Fitzgerald in 1521 ; and of the old church.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021