All entries for Moville Lower



Moville Lower

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Donegal

MOVILLE

MOVILLE, a market and post-town, in the parish of LOWER MOVILLE, barony of ENNISHOWEN, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 16 miles (N.) from Londonderry ; the population is returned with the parish. This town, which was formerly called Bonafobble, is neat and flourishing, having of late rapidly grown into importance from its being resorted to as a fashionable bathing-place. It is pleasantly situated on the western shore of Lough Foyle, and consists of a square and three principal streets, with numerous elegant detached villas and bathing lodges in the immediate vicinity, chiefly near the shore. During the summer season, steam-boats arrive daily from Derry, Portrush, and other places, and for their accommodation two wooden piers projecting into deep water have been constructed, which they can approach at all times of the tide. A market on Thursday has been recently established, and is well supplied with general provisions, fish, and fowl ; and fairs are held on the 28th of Jan., April, July, and Oct., for cattle, sheep and pigs. Petty sessions for the Moville district are held every fourth Tuesday, and a constabulary and a revenue police force, and a coast-guard are stationed here. Here is a national school ; also a school for females, chiefly supported by subscription. The town is favourably situated, being sheltered from the north and westerly winds by the lofty mountains of Ennishowen, and commanding on the south a fine view of the fertile tracts of Myroe and the Faughan vale, backed by the noble mountains of Benbradagh and Benyevenagh, in the county of Londonderry. To the east is the splendid palace of the late Earl of Bristol, Bishop of Derry, with its temples and mausoleum ; and beyond are numerous headlands, extending to the cape of Bengore. Among the principal residences in the vicinity are Moville Lodge, that of H. Lyle, Esq. ; Gortgowan, of the Rev. Chas. Galway ; Ballybrack House, of G. H. Boggs, Esq. ; and Drumawier House, of John Grierson, Esq. : the others are noticed in the account of Upper Moville.

MOVILLE (LOWER)

MOVILLE (LOWER), a parish, in the barony of ENNISHOWEN, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 17 miles (N. N. E.) from Londonderry ; containing 5785 inhabitants, This parish is situated on the western shore of Lough Foyle, and bounded on the north by the Atlantic ocean ; it comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, including a detached portion, 15,950? statute acres. Prior to 1788 it formed part of the parish of Moville (anciently called Mobhuile), when it was separated from the southern or upper division of the old parish. The land is in general of inferior quality, and a large portion of the parish consists of rocky barren mountain, from which circumstance, and that of the population being partly employed in fishing, agriculture is in a backward state ; but in the neighbourhood of Moville the land has been brought into a good state of cultivation and well planted, and is embellished with several handsome residences, which, together with the principal features of the scenery, are noticed in the article on that town ; and to the west of Greencastle a slope of cultivated land ascends towards the neighbouring mountains. The coast of this parish extends from the town of Moville to Glenagivney, including the headlands of Shrove and Ennishowen ; nearly the whole line consists of rocky cliffs of a bold and romantic character, and between Shrove Point and the point of Magilligan, on the opposite coast of Londonderry, is the entrance to Lough Foyle, a capacious harbour, where the largest ships may ride in safety in all kinds of weather. Two light-houses are now in course of erection at Shrove Head by the Ballast Board, in consequence of the numerous shipwrecks that have taken place on the sand banks called " the Tons," near the entrance of the lough. Close on the shore of Lough Foyle, and nearly adjoining the church, are the magnificent ruins of Greencastle, built by Sir Caher O'Dogherty in the 15th century : it stands on a boldly prominent rock near the entrance of the lough, and, from the great strength and extent of the building, which covers the whole surface of the rock (100 yards long and 56 broad), flanked by octagonal and square towers, inaccessible from the sea, and strongly fortified towards the land, was rendered almost impregnable ; it was, notwithstanding, said to have been the first castle abandoned by O'Dogherty, and seized upon by the English, and was afterwards granted to Sir Arthur Chichester. The walls are in some places twelve feet thick, and several of them are still in a good state of preservation ; the eastern portion of one of the towers has fallen and lies in an unbroken mass on the ground. The eligibility of this situation in commanding the entrance to Lough Foyle induced the Government, on the apprehension of an invasion, to erect a fortress, nearly adjoining the castle, consisting of a tower, battery and magazine, with accommodation for 4 officers and 42 men, and, together with another battery on the opposite side of the harbour, mounting 26 guns : the establishment now consists only of a master gunner and five artillerymen. A court for the manor of Greencastle is held monthly, for the recovery of debts under 40s. late currency. Here are stations of the constabulary and revenue police, and of the tide-waiters and pilots of the port of Londonderry; and at Greencastle and Portkennigo are stations of the coast-guard, included in the district of Carn. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Derry, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to #553. 17. per annum. The church is a small but neat edifice, built in 1782, in the early English style, with a tower at the east front ; it stands on a rocky eminence near the shore of Lough Foyle. In the R. C. divisions the parish is united with Upper Moville ; there are chapels at Ballybrack and Ballynacree. Near the church is the parochial school, chiefly supported by the rector ; at Moville is a female school ; and at Glenagivney, Moville, and Gallaghdaff are national schools ; in these collectively about 260 children are instructed : there are also two private schools, in which are about 80 children ; and three Sunday schools. Near Greencastle are some extensive ruins, called Capel Moule, having the appearance of a military edifice, and supposed to have formerly belonged to the Knights Templars ; and on a detached rock, about a mile distant, are the ruins of Kilblaney church : previously to 1620 Kilblaney formed a separate parish. Near Ennishowen Head is an extensive natural cave, often visited in the summer season.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019