DUNKANELY, a village, in the parish of KILLAGHTEE, barony of BANNAGH, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 9 miles (W.) from Donegal, near Inver bay, and on the road from Killybegs to Donegal: the population is returned with the parish. In 1618 this place was a settlement of ten British families, having a territory of 1500 acres, a bawn of lime and stone, and a castle, and able to muster 50 men at arms. It consists of one street, has a penny post to Donegal, a dispensary, a place of worship for Methodists, and a public school. Twelve fairs are held in the course of the year for farming stock, and a manor court monthly for the recovery of debts under #3. In the village are the ruins of the old parish church, and in the immediate vicinity is the present church. Half a mile to the west are the ruins of Castle MacSwine, occupying a point of land little broader than its foundation, which projects some yards into the sea at the head of MacSwine's bay.-See KILLAGHTEE.
KILLAGHTEE, a parish, in the barony of BANNAGH, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (E.) from Killybegs, on the north-west coast; containing, with the village of Dunkanely, 4760 inhabitants. According to the Ordnance survey, it comprises, with a detached portion, 13,368 statute acres, of which about half is mountain land; there is a great quantity of bog, also of coarse limestone and freestone, used for building. Within the parish is St. John's Point, on which is a lighthouse, in lat. 54? 33' 15", and lon. 8? 26', with a bright fixed light, 104 feet above the level of the sea at high water, and visible fourteen nautical miles. Inver bay commences at this Point, and extends to Devrin Point, and to the westward of it is Mac Swine's bay. Many of the parishioners are employed in fishing, and on the 12th of Feb., 1814, twenty fishing-boats and forty-three men were lost in a squall. The principal seats are Brucklees, the residence of Capt. Nesbit ; Upper Brucklees, of A. Cassidy, Esq. ; and Spa Mount, of M. Stevens, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Raphoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to #260. The church is a neat building, erected in 1826, at a cost of #1000, granted by the late Board of First Fruits. There is a neat glebe-house, with a glebe of 635 acres, of which 335 are unprofitable land, and which contains a strong sulphureous spa. In the B.. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Killybegs, for which a large chapel is in course of erection. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists at Dunkanely. About 360 children are educated in six public schools, one of which is aided by donations from Primate Robinson's fund ; and about 30 children in a private school.-See DUNKANELY.