All entries for Drumhome



Drumhome

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Donegal

BALLINTRA

BALLINTRA, a village, in the parish of DRUMHOLM, barony of TYRHUGH, county of DONEGAL, and province of MUNSTER, 4? miles (N. N. E.) from Ballyshannon; containing 439 inhabitants. This village, which is situated on the road from Ballyshannon to Donegal, and at an equal distance from both those towns, consists of one street containing about 90 houses, and has a daily penny post to Donegal and Ballyshannon. Within a mile is Brown Hall, the seat of the Rev. Edward Hamilton, a handsome mansion in a beautifully picturesque demesne, through the groves of which winds a river that in some parts rushes down thickly wooded precipices, and within view of the house is a small lake. This scenery, which is called the Pullins, is strongly contrasted with the dreary tracts of country that surround it, especially on the south and east. Fairs are held on the 1st of February, March 25th, May 20th, June 24th, Aug. 1st, Oct. 3rd, and Nov. 30th, for general farming stock. This is a station of the constabulary police; petty sessions are held on alternate Mondays: and in the village are situated the parish church, a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists, and a dispensary.-See DRUMHOLM.

DRUMHOLM

DRUMHOLM, DRIMHOLM, or DRUMHOME, a parish, in the barony of TYRHUGH, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (N.) from Ballyshannon ; containing 8502 inhabitants. St. Ernan, who died about 640, was abbot of a monastery here, where Flahertach O'Maldory, King of Tyrconnell, was buried in 1197. The parish is situated on Donegal bay, and, according to the Ordnance survey, comprises 35,433 statute acres, of which 15,482 are applotted under the tithe act. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Raphoe, forming the corps of the prebend of Drumholm in Raphoe cathedral, and is in the patronage of the Bishop ; the rectory is impropriate in Col. Conolly. The tithes amount to #735. 3. 6?., of which #245. 1. 2?. is payable to the impropriator. and the remainder to the vicar. The glebehouse was erected in 1792, by aid of a gift of #100 from the late Board of First Fruits. The glebe comprises 531 plantation acres, of which 400 are cultivated, and the remainder is a rabbit burrow. A church was built at Ballintra, in 1795, at an expense of #1098, of which #500 was a gift from the same Board, and the Ecelesiastical Commissioners have recently granted #252. 13. 9. for its repair. Another church was built at Rossnowlough, in 1830, by aid of a grant of #600 from the late Board of First Fruits, which also granted #350 towards building a chapel at Golard. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a large plain chapel near Ballintra. There are places of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, and for Wesleyan Methodists. About 690 children are educated in the public schools, and 20 in a private school ; there are also eight Sunday schools.-See BALLINTRA.

ROSSNOWLOUGH

ROSSNOWLOUGH, an ecclesiastical district, in the barony of TYRHUGH, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (N. W.) from Ballyshannon, on the west of the road to Donegal and on the sea coast ; containing 1006 inhabitants, In the year 1830, nine townlands, comprising 2403? statute acres, were separated from the parish of Drumholm and constituted the ecclesiastical district parish of Rossnowlough. It is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Raphoe, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Drumholm : the gross value of the benefice is #108. 8. 9., of which #75 is paid by the vicar, and #25 from Primate Boulter's fund ; the remainder is the annual value of the glebe, The church was erected in 1831, by aid of a gift of #800 from the late Board of First Fruits. In the R. C. divisions it is in the district of Drumholm. About 360 children are educated in six public schools, of which one is supported by the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity, one from Col. Robertson's endowment, and the remainder chiefly by subscription. There are also two private schools, in which are about 130 children ; and two Sunday schools.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019