BALLYMAGAURAN, a village, in the parish of TEMPLEPORT, barony of TALLAGHAGH, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (N. E.) from Ballinamore, on the road to Killesandra; containing 20 houses and 89 inhabitants. Fairs are held on May 23rd, Aug. 12th, and Nov. 23rd, of which the last is a good fair for cattle. Some remains of the old castle, which was destroyed by Cromwell, yet exist.-See TEMPLEPORT.
KILSUB, or BAWNBOY, a village, in the parish of TEMPLEPORT, barony of TULLAGHAGH, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (N. W.) from Ballyconnell, on the road to Swanlinbar ; containing 24 houses and 60 inhabitants. A fair is held here on the first Monday, and petty sessions on the second Monday, in every month. Near Bawnboy is the seat of F. Hasard, Esq., in a well-planted demesne ; and there is a small boulting-mill.
TEMPLEPORT, a parish, in the barony of TULLAGHAGH, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, 7? miles (N. W.) from Killeshandra, on the road from Ballyconnel to Swanlinbar ; containing 10,758 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the confines of the county of Leitrim, comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 42,172 statute acres, of which 1532? are water, and 25,767 are applotted under the tithe act. It contains not less than eight lakes : in the lake of Templeport is an island called Inch, on which are the picturesque ruins of an abbey founded by St. Macdoe, or Minodhoy, in the 6th century : attached to it is a cemetery still used as a burial-place. At Kilnavat are also the remains of an ancient monastery, of which there are no particulars on record, with an extensive burial-place still in use. The principal seats are Brackley Lodge, the residence of J. Finlay, Esq. ; Corville, of G. Finlay, Esq. ; and Lisnover, of J. Roycroft, Esq. Fairs are held at Ballyminegauran on May 23rd, Aug. 12th, and Nov. 23rd, which last is noted for fat cattle.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; it was formerly united to the vicarage of Drumreilly, from which it was separated in 1835, on the decease of the late Dr. Bushe, by act of council, on the recommendation of the Pluralities' Commissioners. The tithes amount to #276. 18. 5?. ; the glebe-house was built in 1775, at an expense of #1165. 4. 10. ; there are two glebes, one of 58 acres, valued at #193 per annum ; the other, formerly belonging to the parish of Drumreilly, comprising 171 acres, valued at #195. The church, a very neat edifice, beautifully situated on the margin of the lake, and for the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted #120, was erected in 1815, for which purpose the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of #1500. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and is divided into Upper and Lower Templeport ; in the former are three chapels, and in the latter one. About 360 children are taught in four public schools, and there are ten private schools, in which are 520 children.