All entries for Enniskeen



Enniskeen

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cavan

ENNISKEEN

ENNISKEEN, a parish, partly in the baronies of LOWER KELLS and LOWER SLANE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, but chiefly in the barony of CLONKEE, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, on the road from Carrickmacross to Bailieborough ; containing, with the post-town of Kingscourt (which is described under its own head), 10,368 inhabitants. This place, ancientlythe principal seat of the Danes, was called Dunaree, and still retains that name ; it is surrounded by Danish forts, and on the summits of the neighbouring hills great quantities of money and of ancient military weapons have been dug up at various times. The parish comprises 23,814 statute acres, of which about 500 are woodland, from 200 to 300 bog, and the remainder under tillage ; the system of agriculture is greatly improved, and great quantities of bog and waste land have been reclaimed. Limestone abounds ; there are excellent quarries of every kind of building stone, and near the rock at Carrickleck is very superior freestone, which is extensively worked for flagstones and pillars of large dimensions. On the estate of Lord Gormanstown, in the Meath district, are coal, lead and iron ore, but none is raised at present ; a coal mine and an alabaster quarry were formerly worked, but have been discontinued. The principal seats are Cabra castle, the handsome residence and richly planted demesne of Col. Pratt ; Corinsica, of - J. Pratt, Esq. ; Northlands, of the Very Rev. Dean Adams ; Newcastle, of - J. Smith, Esq. ; Woodford, of - J. Armstrong, Esq. ; Lisnaboe, of - Jackson, Esq. ; Plantation, of - Irwin, Esq. ; Larchfield, of - W. Pratt, Esq. ; and Cornakill, of - Moore, Esq. An annual fair is held at Muff on the 21st of August, and there are several at Kingscourt, noticed in the account of that town, where petty sessions are also held. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Meath, and in the patronage of the Bishop, to whom the rectory is appropriate: the tithes amount to #900. The glebe-house is a neat residence, erected by a gift of #450 and a loan of #50 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1831 ; the glebe comprises 28? acres. The church, at Kingscourt, is a neat plain edifice, to the repair of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted #173. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and is called Kingscourt ; the chapel in that town is a spacious and handsome edifice, in the hater English style, and there is also a chapel at Muff. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the third class, and one for Wesleyan Methodists. About 130 children are taught in the public schools, and there are 16 private schoohs, in which are about 960 children. Between Bailieborough and Kingscourt, about two miles from the former, is a pool called Lough-on-Leighaghs, or the "healing lake," which is much resorted to by patients afflicted with scorbutic complaints ; it is situated on the summit of a mountain, rising, according to the Ordnance Survey, 1116 feet above the level of the sea. On a lofty eminence, about a mile from the lake, is a remarkable cairn ; and about two miles from Kingscourt, on the Dublin road, is the singularly beautiful and romantic glen of Cabra. There are ruins of Muff and Cabra castles, and some remains of an old bridge.

KINGSCOURT

KINGSCOURT, a market and post-town, in the parish of ENNISKEEN, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, 5 miles (W.) from Carrickmacross, and 50? (N. W.) from Dublin, on the road from Carrickmacross to Bailieborough ; containing 1616 inhabitants. This town, which is situated on the confines of the counties of Louth, Meath, and Monaghan, was founded near the site of the old village of Cabra, by Mervyn Pratt, Esq., towards the close of the last century, and was completed by his brother, the Rev. Joseph Pratt. From the facility afforded by its situation for procuring materials for building, the advantageous conditions of the leases granted by its proprietor, the construction of good roads, and the establishment of a market, it has rapidly risen into importance, and is now a thriving and prosperous place. It consists of one spacious street, containing 314 houses, which are well built of stone and roofed with slate ; has a neat and commodious market-house, and a daily post ; and is the head station for the Kings-court district of the Irish society for promoting the education of the native Irish, through the medium of their own language. Near the town is Cabra Castle, the seat of the proprietor, Col. Pratt, a superb baronial castellated mansion in the Norman style of architecture, with suitable offices, situated in an extensive and beautiful demesne, comprising 1700 statute acres, and embellished with luxuriant woods and richly varied scenery. In a spacious meadow to the west of the castle, which is interspersed with stately trees of ancient growth, is an aboriginal wood covering several hundred acres, and reaching to the summit of a lofty eminence crowned with the ruins of an ancient castle and a rotundo of more modern date, commanding a rich view over several counties, terminating in the Carlingford mountains to the east, and the bay of Dundalk, which is visible in clear weather. On a rising ground at a short distance towards the south are the tower of Kingscourt church and part of the town ; and to the south-east, on a high hill, the church of Ardagh. At the western extremity of the demesne is the romantic and thickly wooded glen of Cabra, of great depth and nearly a mile in length, watered by a rapid mountain torrent, which taking a winding course over beds of rock, forms several picturesque cascades. A very romantic bridge is thrown across the glen, the abutments of which are hewn in the solid rock ; the arch, raised to a very great height, is covered with ivy and ornamented with several trees of large growth, whose stems are also entwined with ivy, giving to it a splendid and imposing appearance. Near this spot, on a slight eminence, is Cabra Lodge, where the present proprietor has erected some vertical saw-mills of great power. It is traditionally recorded that one of the northern tribes, in its passage to the west of Ireland, was met in this glen by the enemy and totally routed and cut to pieces ; several of the old inhabitants recollect the discovery of human bones in this place, which, it being unconsecrated ground, must have been those of bodies interred before the Christian era. This circumstance is alluded to in a note appended to Ossian's poems, a fact which would, in the opinion of antiquaries, confirm the authenticity of at least a part of that work. Contiguous to Cabra is Mullintra, the grounds of which, together with those of Cormee, the site of the present castle, now form part of the demesne, the whole having been united by the present proprietor. The market is on Tuesday ; and there are fairs on April 1st, May 23rd, June 18th, Aug. 1st, Sept. 19th, Nov. 8th, and Dec. 4th and 24th. A chief constabulary force is stationed here, and petty sessions are held on alternate Tuesdays. The parish church is situated in the town, in which are also a handsome R. C. chapel and a dispensary. In the neighbourhood are several planted raths, one of which commands a very extensive and magnificent prospect.

MUFF

MUFF, a village, in the parish of ENNISKEEN, barony of CLONKEE, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, adjoining the post-town of Kingscourt, on the road to Bailieborough ; the population is returned with the parish. It contains only a few scattered houses, and a R. C. chapel. A fair for horses is held annually on the 12th of August, which is well attended. There are some ruins of an ancient castle, said to have been destroyed by Cromwell.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019