All entries for Drumgoon



Drumgoon

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cavan

COOTEHILL

COOTEHILL. a market and post-town, in the parish of DRUMGOON, barony of TULLAGHGARVEY, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, 12 miles (N. E.) from Cavan, and 57 (N. W. by W.) from Dublin ; containing 2239 inhabitants. This town is situated on the road from Kingscourt to Clones, and consists of four wide streets, containing 438 houses, nearly all of which are slated. It is on the borders of a lake, which is naviga-ble for the greater part of the distance of seven miles between this place and Ballybay, in Monaghan ; and is a considerable market for linen. The webs are principally broad sheetings of superior quality, and the number of pieces sold annually to be bleached is about 40,000. The trade, which had considerably declined, has for the last two or three years been improving. The general market is on Friday, and the corn market on Saturday, in the market-house. Fairs are held on the second Friday in each month for cattle, flax, and yarn. Here is a chief constabulary police station. Petty sessions are held every Wednesday, and quarter sessions at Easter and in October in a very neat sessions-house. The bridewell contains three cells, with separate day-rooms and yards for males and females, and apartments for the keeper. The seats in the neighbourhood are very beautiful, especially Bellamont Forest, the residence of C. Coote, Esq., which derived its name from the title of Earl of Bellamont enjoyed, until the year 1800, by the ancient family of Coote. The house is of brick, two stories high, with a noble Donic portico of stone, and the rooms of the lower story are strikingly grand ; it contains some fine paintings, among which is the death of Dido, by Guercino, also full-length portraits of the late Earl and Countess of Bellamont by Sir Joshua Reynolds, the former in the full costume of a Knight of the Bath, a fine painting in excellent preservation. The demesne comprises above 1000 plantation acres, of which nearly one-half is occupied with woods ; it includes several lakes anol a spa, and commands beautiful views from Dismond Hill and its several eminences. The other principal seats are Ashfield Lodge, the residence of H. J. Clements, Esq. ; Annilea, of M. Murphy, Esq. ; Bellgreen, of T. Brunker, Esq. ; and Rakenny, of T. L. Clements, Esq. The town contains the parish church, a R. C. chapel, and two places of worship for Presbyterians, o)ne for the Societ.y of Friends, one for Moravians, and one for Wesleyan Methodists. There are three schools, including an infants' school, also a Sunday school in the old church and at each of the Presbyterian chapels, a dispensary, and a Ladies' Society for selling blankets and clothing at half- price. In an ancient fort at Rakenny a considerable quantity of gold, with a large golden fibula, was found in an iron pot.-See DRUMGOON.

DRUMGOON

DRUMGOON, a parish, partly in the barony of TULLAGHGARVEY, but chiefly in that of CLONKEE, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, on the road from Kingscourt to Clones ; containing, with the post-town of Cootehill, 12,029 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 15,475 statute acres, including 604 under water, of which 8122 are in Clonkee. Slate and lead ore abound here, but have been only partially worked ; and the linen manufacture was formerly carried on to a great extent, but of late it has much declined: there is a large flour-mill and bakery. Bellamont Forest, the seat of C. Coote, Esq., stands in a forest on the banks of a beautiful lake adjoining the demesne of Lord Cremorne. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the Rev. J. Hamilton ; the tithes amount to #513. 9. 9. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of #375 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1820, and was rebuilt by a loan of #1384. 12. and a gift of #92. 6. from that Board in 1831 : the glebe comprises 343 acres. The church, situated in Cootehill, is a large handsome structure with a tower and spire, rebuilt by aid of a loan of #3200, in 1817, from the late Board. There is also a chapel of ease, a neat plain edifice, erected in 1834, about three miles distant from the church. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains three chapels, one at Cootehill, another about a mile from it and a third at Muddabawn. There are two Presbyterian meeting-houses, one in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the third class, and the other with the Seceding Synod, of the second class ; also places of worship for the Society of Friends, Moravians, and Wesleyan Methodists. There are thirteen public schools, in which are about 1080, and fourteen private schools, in which are about 640, children ; also an infants' school, and Sunday schools held in each meeting-house. A Society for the sale of blankets and clothing at half price is supported by ladies. The Bible Society has a repository here. Remains of an old encamp ment exist at Drumgoon ; there are also several Danish raths, or forts. Large horns of the elk are often found, a pair of which ornament the porch of the glebe-house. The remains of the old parish church are on the townland of Drumgoon.-See COOTEHILL.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019