All Lewis entries for Aghada


More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork


AGHADA, or AHADA, a parish, partly in the barony of BARRYMORE, but chiefly in that of IMOKILLY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S. W. by W.) from Cloyne; containing 2512 inhabitants. This parish, which includes the small fishing village of Whitegate, is situated on the south side of Cork harbour, and on the road from Cloyne to Carlisle Forts The village of Aghada occupies an elevated site, and contains the parish church and R. C. chapel. The village of Whitegate is a small fishing port, where several boats are employed in raising sand from the harbour, which is used for manure. On the north side of the parish a neat small pier has been constructed by subscription, where a steam-boat from Cork or Cove calls every Tuesday during the summer, and where coal and sand are occasionally landed. About 50 females are employed in platting Tuscan straw for exportation, and a few in platting the crested dog's tail, or " traneen," grass found here. The parish comprises 2331 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the greater part is under tillage, and nearly the whole of the remainder is pasture; there is very little waste land or bog. At Whitegate are two quarries of stone used for building. There are several handsome houses within its limits: the principal are Aghada House, the residence of J. Roche, Esq.; Whitegate House, of Mrs. Blakeney Fitzgerald; Careystown, of Mrs. Atkin; Hadwell Lodge, of J. Penrose, Esq.; Hadwell, of the Rev. Dr. Austen; Maryland House, of J. Haynes, Esq.; Rathcourcy, .of J. Smith, Esq.; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. .J. Gore, There is a coast-guard station at East Ferry. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne; it was united in the reign of Chas. II. to the rectories and vicarages of Corkbeg, Rostellan, Inch, and Kilteskin or Titeskin, which, from the time of Bishop Crow, in the reign of Anne, were held in commendam by the Bishop of Cloyne, till the death of Dr. Brinkley in 1835, when they were disunited by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and made separate beneflices, in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes amount to £292. 15. 6. The church, a neat structure, situated on an eminence above the harbour of Cove, was erected in 1812. The glebe-house adjoins it, and for its erection the late Board of First Fruits, in 1814, granted a loan of £1000 and a gift of £100: the glebe comprises 20 acres of profitable land. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms the head of a union or district, also called Saleen, which comprises the parishes of Aghada, Rostellan, Corkbeg, Inch, and Garranekenefeck, and contains three chapels, situated respectively in Aghada, Rostellan, and Inch; the first is a small plain edifice, built by the late John Roche, Esq., who, in 1818, founded a school. The parochial school at Farcet was founded by the late Bishop Brinkley, who endowed it with two acres of land from the glebe, and is further supported by the Marchioness of Thomond. A school at Whitegate Hill was founded in 1827, for 50 boys, by the late R. U. Fitzgerald, Esq., who endowed it with £500; and female and infants' schools have been built and are supported by his widow, Mrs. Blakeney Fitzgerald. In these schools about 100 boys and 50 girls receive instruction: there are also two private schools, in which are about 50 boys and 40 girls. In the village of Aghada are the picturesque ruins of the old church.


FARCET, FARSIDE, or ROSTELLAN, a village, in the parish of AGHADA, barony of IMOKILLY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (S. W.) from Cloyne, on the road to Whitegate, and on the harbour of Cork ; containing 123 inhabitants. It is situated at the head of a small creek, and consists of a range of neat houses extending along the shore and chiefly occupied by the domestics and workmen of the Marquess of Thomond, whose seat, Rostellan Castle, immediately adjoins the village. Fairs are held on Feb. 2nd and March 25th for general farming stock. Near the village are a convenient quay and stores, where coal, sea-sand, and other articles are landed. Here is the parochial school, founded by the late Bishop Brinkley, who endowed it with two acres of land ; it is almost entirely supported by the Marchioness of Thomond.-See ROSTELLAN and AGHADA.


TRABOLGAN, a ploughland in the parish of AGHADA, barony of IMOKILLY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 6- miles (S. W.) from Cloyne, on the eastern side of the entrance of Cork harbour: the population is returned with the parish. It comprises 842 statute acres as applotted under the tithe act. Here is an extensive and valuable slate quarry, employing a great number of workmen, whence slate of durable quality and excellent colour is procured. Roche's Tower lighthouse is within this ploughland, as is also the coast-guard station. The whole is the property of E. Roche, Esq., who has here an elegant house and demesne, noticed more particularly in the article on CORKBEG. It is ecclesiastically known as a particle, forming part of the mensal of the Bishop of Cork, to whom the tithes, amounting to £148. 1. 8. are payable: the cure of souls devolves upon the rector of Corkbeg.


WHITEGATE, a village, partly in the parish of AGHADA, and partly in that of CORKBEG, barony of IMOKILLY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (S. W.) from Cloyne ; containing 496 inhabitants. It is situated upon the south-western side of the harbour of Cork, and on the road from Cloyne to Carlisle fort, containing 46 houses, which are all small, but neat and well built, and being whitewashed have a pretty and cheerful appearance. A considerable fishery is carried on, in which 6 boats of from 15 to 20 tons' burden are regularly employed during the season in taking hake, mackerel, and herrings ; and about 20 boats of from 5 to 10 tons are engaged in conveying sand to Cork, Midleton, and other places. Two boats occasionally ply from the village to the Cork and Cove markets during the summer season. A steam-boat from Cork comes every Tuesday to a small pier situated about one mile north-east from the village. Here are three schools under the superintendence of the Rev. John Gore, one for boys, founded and endowed hy the late Col. Fitzgerald, of Corkbeg, in 1831; the others are a female and an infants' school, maintained hy Mrs. Blakeney Fitzgerald, by whom the school-houses were erected. The country around is exceedingly fertile, and is embellished with several elegant mansions, the principal of which are Corkbeg House, the residence of R. M. Penrose Fitzgerald, Esq. ; Whitegate House, of Mrs. Blakeney Fitzgerald ; Trabolgan, of E. Roche, Esq. ; Hadwel Lodge, of J. Penrose, Esq. ; and Aghada House, of J. Roche, Esq. Close to the village are the ruins of the castle and church of Cork beg, and near the ruins of the old church a new one is about to be erected.

Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021