All Lewis entries for Aghacross



Aghacross

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork

AHACROSS

AHACROSS, or AGHACROSS, a parish, in the barony of CONDONS and CLONGIBBONS, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (W. by N.) from Mitchelstown: the population is returned with the parish of Templemolloga. This parish, which is situated on the confines of the county of Limerick, and near the road from Kildorrery to Mitchelstown, comprises only 356- statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £445 per annum: it consists chiefly of mountainous pasture, and for all civil purposes has merged into the parish of Templemollogga, of which it is now regarded only as a townland. Fairs are held on Jan. 20th and Oct. 3rd, chiefly for cattle. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Cloyne, and forms part of the union of Clenore, from which it is detached by the intervention of several other parishes: the tithes amount to £30. 5. 7. The nearest church is at Marshalstown. In the R. C. divisions it is included in the union or district of Kildorrery.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020