All entries for Kilmore



Kilmore

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Armagh

GRANGE O'NEILL

GRANGE O'NEILL, an extra-parochial district) locally in the parish of KILMORE, barony of LOWER ORIOR, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER ; containing 903 inhabitants, and more than 800 acres of excellent land. In ecclesiastical concerns it belongs to the lordship of Newry, and is under the jurisdiction of Lord Kilmorey, as abbot of Newry.

KILMORE

KILMORE, a parish, partly in the barony of LOWER ORIOR, but chiefly in that of O'NEILLAND WEST, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, on the road from Armagh to Belfast ; containing, with the post-town of Richhill (which is described under its own head), 14,037 inhabitants. This place, anciently called Kilmore-Aedhain, derived that name from the foundation of a church in the territory of Huadneth, by St. Mochtee, the founder of Louth, by whom it was dedicated to St. Aedan. The parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 17,274? statute acres, of which 4799? are in the barony of Lower Orior, and 12,474? in that of O'Neilland West. The soil is fertile ; the system of agriculture is highly improving ; there is no waste land and only a small quantity of bog. There are several quarries of whinstone, which is raised for building ; and limestone is found in great abundance, and quarried both for building and for manure. The surrounding scenery is finely varied, and towards the south and east are some beautiful views extending to the sea, and comprehending the mountains of Mourne. The principal seats are Richhill Castle, the property and residence of Miss Richardson, situated in an extensive and embellished demesne ; Wheatfield, of H. Clendining, Esq. ; Bellview, of G. Langtrey, Esq. ; Killynhanvagh, of Major T. Atkins ; Anna Hill, of H. Walker, Esq. ; and Course Lodge, of 3. Orr, Esq. The linen manufacture is carried on to a considerable extent, employing a great number of persons ; and a court is held at Richhill on the first Friday in every month for the manor of Mullalelish and Legacony, in which debts under 40s. are recoverable. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, constituting the corps of the chancellorship of the cathedral of Armagh, in the patronage of the Lord-Primate ; the tithes amount to #1213. 4. 4. The glebe-house, towards which the late Board of First Fruits contributed a gift of #100, was erected in 1793 ; it is a spacious and handsome residence, situated in grounds tastefully disposed ; the glebe comprises 679 acres of profitable land. The church, with the exception of the ancient tower, was rebuilt in 1814, at an expense of #2800, of which #2000 was a loan from the same Board ; and in 1825 the massive square tower was surmounted by a lofty octagonal spire covered with copper, at an expense of #300, of Which half was defrayed by the rector and the remainder by subscription ; it occupies a commanding eminence, and is seen to great advantage at a distance. A church was built in 1775 at Mullyvilly, for the accommodation of the parishioners in that part of the parish: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church ; there are two chapels, both small buildings, situated respectively at Richhill and Mullavilly. There are places of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the third class, and for the Society of Friends and Independents. About 550 children are taught in eight public schools, of which two are supported by the rector, two by the trustees of Erasmus Smith's fund, one by Miss Richardson, of Richhill Castle, and two are endowed with an acre of land each by the rector, who also built the school-houses. There are also two private schools, in which are about 70 children, and six Sunday schools in connection with the Established Church and the several dissenting congregations, two of which are aided by annual donations from the rector and Mr. Caulfield. A payment of #3. 1. 6. is annually made to the poor, arising from land near the village, called the Honey Pot field ; and Mr. Atkinson, of Greenhall, in 1827, bequeathed #50, of which the interest is annually divided by the rector among the Protestant poor. There are a mendicity association and a voluntary poor fund. In the townland of Castle Roe are extensive ruins of the castle which gave name to the district, and which is said to have been founded by Rory O'Nial in the reign of Elizabeth ; it occupied a lofty eminence, commanding the entire country. The former glebe-house was part of the ancient abbey, and contained several dormitories and cells with narrow lights and very massive walls ; but the only vestige of the abbey is the holy well, enclosed in the rector's garden. On a high hill in the parish, Cromwell is said to have had an encampment.

MULLAVILLY

MULLAVILLY, or MULLAGHVILLY, an ecclesiastical district, in the barony of LOWER ORIOR, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Tanderagee, on the road from Newry to Portadown ; containing 6593 inhabitants. This district comprises 6880 acres, generally remarkably good, and under an excellent system of agriculture: the Brachy bog, containing about 350 acres, is very valuable for fuel. The manor court of Tannybalton was formerly held here, but it has been for some time discontinued, The principal proprietors are Viscount Mandeville and the Count de Sahis. Near the church is Mullavilly House, the residence of J. Atkinson, Esq. ; the glebe-house is the residence of the Rev. Maxwell Carpendale ; and there are several other very good houses, the residences of farmers. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Chancellor of Armagh. The income of the perpetual curate amounts to #94.4. 7?., of which #69. 4. 7?. is paid by the rector of Kilmore, and #25 out of Primate Boulter's Augmentation Fund. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of #450, and a loan of #50, in 1812, from the late Board of First Fruits : the glebe consists of 10 acres, valued at #12. 8. per annum. Prior to the year 1755, this formed part of the parish of Kilmore, but in that year seventeen townlands were set apart to form the district of Mullavilly, shortly after which the church was erected, at the cost of Primate Robinson, but it was not consecrated till 1785 ; it was considerably enlarged in 1820, at an expense of #738 British, of which sum #387 was a loan from the late Board of First Fruits ; it has lately been repaired by aid of a grant of #137 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and is a handsome cruciform building, with a square embattled tower at the west front, surmounted by a low spire. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Kilmore : the chapel is a small building, at Mullavilly. At Vinecash there is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the third class ; and another at Ahoney, belonging to the Seceding Synod, of the second class. About 650 children are educated in seven public schools, of which one at Mullavilly is on Erasmus Smith's foundation, and has a large and handsome school-house, erected by the Count de Salis at an expense of #600, on two acres of land with which he endowed it ; one at Mullahead was built and is supported by Lord and Lady Mandeville, and conducted on the moral agency system ; and those at Ballintaggart, Derryhall, and Ballyloghan are supported by the Misses Richardson. There are also two private schools, in which about 80 children are educated ; and six Sunday schools, one of which is supported by Miss Richardson. Attached to the school at Mullahead are a lending library, and a loan and clothing fund, of the benefits of which every necessitous tenant on the estate partakes.

RICHHILL

RICHHILL, a post-town, in that part of the parish of KILMORE, which is in the barony of O'NEILLAND WEST, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (E. by N.) from Armagh, and 64 (N. by W.) from Dublin, on the old road from Armagh to Belfast: con-taining 937 inhabitants. This town is situated on the river Tallwater, in the heart of a rich agricultural and populous manufacturing district, and from its elevated situation has an interesting appearance. It consists of two principal streets and contains 189 houses, of which several are handsome and well built ; its chief commercial importance arose from its extensive linen market, in which the average weekly sales amounted to #2600, and the supply of which afforded constant employment to a great number of persons in the neighbourhood. But since the construction of a new line of road from Armagh to Belfast, which in shortening the distance between those places avoids this town, the market has declined, except for the sale of a little linen yarn, and the trade has been greatly diminished. Fairs are held on Shrove-Tuesday, July 26th, and Oct. 15th, principally for cattle ; and a constabulary police force is stationed in the town. The market-house, a substantial and commodious building, was erected in 1753 by W. Richardson, Esq. There are places of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, the Society of Friends, and Wesleyan Methodists ; a school on Erasmus Smith's foundation, for which a handsome house was built in 1819, at the expense of the late Lord-Primate, and W. Richardson, Esq., who endowed it with two acres of land ; a dispensary, and a clothing society. The neighbourhood is beautifully varied, and the scenery pleasingly picturesque. The ancient mansion of the Misses Richardson, proprietors of the town, with its castellated turrets, embosomed in a highly cultivated tract of country, chiefly in demesne, and richly Wooded, forms an interesting feature ; and within two miles is Castle Dillon, the seat of Sir Thos. Molyneux, Bart., in a demesne abounding with .stately forest trees and embellished with a fine sheet of water, and an obelisk 60 feet. high, erected by the late Rt. Hon. Sir Capel Molyneux, in commemoration of Irish legislative independence obtained in 1782 by the volunteers of Ireland ; the same baronet also erected a column to commemorate the foundation of the order of the Knights of St. Patrick. Adjoining Castle Dillon is Hockley Lodge, the seat of the Hon. Henry Caulfield, brother of Lord Charlemont, an elegant modern residence, containing some stately apartments and an extensive and valuable library. The poor of the neighbourhood of Richhill derive great benefit from the munificence and philanthropy of the Hon. Mrs. Caulfield and the Misses Richardson.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019