EGLISH, a parish, partly in the barony of ARMAGH, but chiefly in that of TURANEY, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 4? miles (N. W.) from Armagh, on the road from Caledon to Charlemont ; containing 5419 inhabitants, and comprising, according to the Ordnance survey, 10,574? statute acres, of which 7146 are in the barony of Turaney ; 9840 acres are applotted under the tithe act, of which about one-fifth is pasture ; 526 are tithe free ; and there is a small portion of wasteland. Agriculture flourishes, the land is excellent, and the country much ornamented by the plantations of Elm Park, Knappagh, and Glenaule. There are quarries of limestone, which is much used for building and burning for manure, The Ulster canal passes through this parish: the inhabitants combine with husbandry the weaving of linen cloth. The seats are Elm Park, that of the Earl of Charlemont ; Knappagh, of James Johnston, Esq. ; Glenaule, of Joseph Johnston, Esq. ; the glebe-house, of the Rev. W. Barlow ; and the modern residences of B. Eyre and R. Cross, Esqrs., bordering on the county of Tyrone. It is a rectory and perpetual cure, in the diocese of Armagh ; the rectory forms part of the union of Armagh, and the perpetual cure was instituted under the act of the 7th of Geo. III., cap. 17, and is in the patronage of the Rector. The tithes amount to #469. 0. 10.: the income of the perpetual curate is #200 per ann. arising from #100 paid by the rector, and #100 derived from the glebe lands. The glebehouse is commodious, and is situated on a glebe of 64 statute acres, given for that use by the late Joseph Johnston, Esq., of Knappagh, to Primate Robinson, who built the house. The same benefactor also gave the ground on which the old church and parish schoolhouse were built, and six acres for the use of the schoolmaster. The church is a large handsome edifice, having a square tower with pinnacles ; it was erected in 1821, 1? mile south-east from the site of the old one, at a cost of #2000, partly by subscription, and partly from a loan of #1000 from the late Board of First Fruits. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Armagh, and contains a chapel. There is a parochial school on the glebe, aided by private subscriptions ; two are supported by Lord and Lady Charlemont ; one by endowment of seven acres of land and a house for the master, by Primate Robinson ; one by the perpetual curate ; Ballymartrum school, built and supported by Mr. Johnston, who has endowed it with an acre of land ; and one, the school-house of which was built by Mr. Jackson. In these schools about 330 children are instructed. There is also a private school, the master of which has a house rent-free. The strongholds and palaces of the Hy Nials, Kings of Ulster, stood in this parish, mention of which is made in the 6th century by St. Fiech, and some traces exist on the townland of Crieve-Roe ; they are called "the king's stables" by the country people. The extensive and nearly perfect fort of Navan, with its deep fosses and earthworks, occupies the entire summit of a hill. Not far from Navan is Lisdown, or "the city of forts," which gives name to the townland on which it stands. The ruins of the old church form a picturesque object on the summit of a hill near the western confines of the parish.