All Lewis entries for Marshalstown



Marshalstown

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork

MARSHALSTOWN

MARSHALSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of CONDONS and CLONGIBBONS, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER , 2- miles (W. by S.) from Mitchelstown, on the road to Kildorrery ; containing 2566 inhabitants. The parish comprises 6760 statute acres, as rated for the county cess, and valued at £4391 per ann. ; it includes a large tract of bog. Limestone abounds and is burnt for manure, and the state of agriculture is slowly improving. The gentlemen's seats are Killee Castle, the residence of - Montgomery, Esq.; and Castle Eugene, of E. O'Neill, Esq., M.D. Part of the Earl of Kingston's extensive demesne of Mitchelstown is also within its limits. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the rectory is impropriate in John Nason, Esq. The tithes amount to £330 per ann., payable in equal portions to the impropriator and the vicar : there is a glebe of about 3 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Mitchelstown, and has a chapel at Marshalstown. About 100 children are educated during the summer in two private schools. The ruins still remain of what are called "James's churches."


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021