All Lewis entries for Knockmourne



Knockmourne

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork

CONNA

CONNA, or CONNOUGH, a village, in the parish of KNOCRMOURNE, barony of KINNATALOON, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 4? miles (N. W.) from Tallow ; the population is returned with the parish. This place, which is situated on the river Bride, is a constabulary police station, and has fairs on May 12th, June 20th, October 3rd, and Nov. 21st. The R. C. chapel is situated here. Conna castle is said to have been built by one of the Earls of Desmond, and was taken by storm, in 1645, by the Earl of Castlehaven. In 1653 it was burnt, and Avis, Joanna, and Jane German, daughters of Edward German, perished in the flames, as appears by a monument with an inscription recording this calamity in Knockmourne church. The castle, of which only a high square tower remains, stood on an isolated limestone rock on the south side of the river Bride. Excellent salmon and trout are caught in this river.

KNOCKMOURNE

KNOCKMOURNE, or KNOCKMORE, a parish, partly in the barony of BARRYMORE, partly in that of CONDONS and CLONGIBBONS, but chiefly in that of KINNATALOON, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (N. W.) from Tallow, on the road to Rathcormac ; containing 3144 inhabitants. It comprises 7514 statute acres, of which 75 are woodland, 250 bog, and the remainder arable land: the soil is good, and there is much limestone and some brown stone. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, united at an unknown period, by act of council, to the vicarage of Ballynoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the rectory is impropriate in the corporation of Waterford. The tithes amount to £1070. 12. 9., which is equally divided between the impropriators and the vicar, and the tithes of the benefice to £840. 7. 4-. The glebe comprises three acres. The church was rebuilt by a loan of £300 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1813. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, which includes the parishes of Knockmourne, Ballynoe, and Mogealy ; and has chapels at Conna, Ballynoe, and Lisnabrint. Here is a private school, in which about 70 children are educated.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021