All entries for Drummaul



Drummaul

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Antrim

DRUMMAUL

DRUMMAUL, a parish, in the barony of UPPER TOOME, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER ; containing, with the post-town of Randalstown (which is described under its own head), 9737 inhabitants. During the revolution of 1688, this parish was frequently the head-quarters of the Earl of Antrim's regiment, which marched hence to the attack of Londonderry ; and in the disturbances of 1798, the insurgents were driven from Antrim into Randalstown, in this parish, by the king's troops. The parish is situated on the river Main, and on the northern shore of Lough Neagh ; it is intersected by the road from Belfast to the eastern parts of the counties of Derry and Tyrone, and by the mail roads from Belfast to Coleraine, and from Antrim to Cookstown. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 32,394 statute acres, of which, 11,472 are in Lough Neagh, and 171? in the river Main. The land, with the exception of a few farms, is in a very indifferent state of cultivation ; the system of agriculture is, however, beginning to improve ; there are bogs containing about 2800 acres. The beautiful demesne of Shane's Castle, which contains nearly 2000 acres, the property of Earl O'Neill, and for many years the principal seat of his family, is situated on the margin of Lough Neagh, and the grounds and plantations extend far on both sides of the river Main : the mansion was destroyed by fire in 1816, and is now in ruins ; the park, which is well stocked with deer, is ornamented with fine timber. Millmount, the seat of G. Handcock, Esq., agent to Earl O'Neill ; Hollybrook and Sharoogues are also in this parish. Coal and ironstone were formerly obtained here, and there are remains of extensive forges and smelting-furnaces at Randalstown. There are quarries of basaltic stone, from which materials are obtained in abundance both for building and for the roads. The spinning of cotton and weaving of calico were extensively carried on at Randalstown, there are excellent sites for bleach-greens and beetling-engines at Hollybrook, and a considerable quantity of linen is woven in various parts of the parish. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Connor, and in the gift of the Marquess of Donegal, in whom the rectory is impropriate : the tithes amount to #996.6. 6., of which #546. 6. 6. is payable to the impropriator and #450 to the vicar. The church, which is at Randalstown, is a neat edifice in the ancient English style, with an octagonal spire of freestone : it was built in 1832, on the site of a church erected in 1709, and cost #1800, of which, Earl O'Neill subscribed #300, besides giving a fine-toned organ ; his lordship has also built a beautiful mausoleum for his family close to the church, the family burial-place having been at Edenduff-Carrick since 1722. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, called Drummaul or Randalstown, comprising the parishes of Drummaul and Antrim, and parts of Connor, Templepatrick, Donegore, and Kilbride ; there are three chapels, of which that of Drummaul is a large handsome building near Randaistown. In that town there is a Presbyterian meeting-house in connection with the Synod of Ulster, and one connected with the Seceding Synod, both of the first class ; and the Covenanters have a meeting-house at Craigmore. There is a parochial school at Randaistown for children of both sexes, aided by a grant from Earl O'Neill, and six other schools in the parish ; also another school at Randalstown. In these schools about 330 children are educated, besides which about 440 are taught in seven private schools, and there are also eight Sunday schools. There are some remains of the ancient church at Drummaul, and the site of an old church at Edenduff-Carrick, or Shane's-Castle. Adjoining the gardens of Shane's-Castle are some very fine columnar masses of basalt, similar to those of the Giant's Causeway, but less perfect in their form and less regular in their divisions ; they descend into Lough Neagh, and disappear under the water. There are chalybeate springs in various parts of the parish.

RANDALSTOWN

RANDALSTOWN, a market and post-town (formerly a parliamentary borough), in the parish of DRUMMAUL, barony of UPPER TOOME, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 17? miles (N. W. by W.) from Belfast, and 97? (N.) from Dublin, at the junction of the mail coach roads from Coleraine and Magherafelt to Belfast ; containing 618 inhabitants. This place, which is situated on the river Maine, was from that circumstance called Mainwater, and also Iron-Works, from the forges and furnaces formerly in extensive operation, and of which there are still some remains, In the war of the Revolution the town was the headquarters of the Earl of Antrim's forces, who marched hence for the siege of Londonderry ; and in the disturbances of 1798, a body of the insurgent forces attacked it, burned the market-house, and continued their devastations till the approach of Cols. Clavering and Durham, on the evening of the same day, when they retreated to Toome bridge. In 1683, Chas. IL., in consideration of a fine of #200, granted to Rose, Marchioness of Antrim, the manor of Edenduffearrick, with all its rights and privileges, and constituted the town of Iron-Works a free borough, with power to return two members to parliament, to be chosen by the majority of the inhabitants, on precept to the seneschal of the manor issued by the sheriffs of Antrim. The borough continued to return two members till the Union, when the franchise was abolished.

The town is pleasantly situated on the western bank of the river Maine, over which is a handsome bridge of nine arches, and contains 113 houses, neatly built and of pleasing appearance. The barracks for the staff of the county militia, whose headquarters and depot are here, are well built ; there is a good inn near the bridge. The chief trade is the spinning of cotton and the weaving of calico, for which there are extensive mills ; in these, more than 600 persons are employed ; and there is a large bleach-green. The market is on Wednesday and is abundantly supplied with wheat, flour, meal, end pork, great quantities of wheat and pork being sent to Belfast ; there is also a market for linen and linen yarn on the first Wednesday in every month ; and fairs are held on July 16th and Nov. 1st, chiefly for cattle and pigs. The market-house, in which are an assembly-room and rooms for holding the various courts, is a neat and well-arranged building. There is a constabulary police station in the town, and petty sessions are held on alternate Thursdays. A court baron for the manor, which is the property of Earl O'Neill, is held before the seneschal every month, at which debts not exceeding #20 are recoverable ; and a court leet annually, at which a weigh-master, a market jury and constables are appointed, and some small presentments made for the repair of the court-house and other purposes. The parish church, a handsome structure in the early English style, with an octagonal spire, is Situated in the town ; in which are also a spacious and well-built R C. chapel, two Presbyterian places of worship, and a dispensary. In the immediate vicinity is Shane's Castle, park, and demesne, the property, and, previously to the destruction of the mansion by an accidental fire in 1816, the residence of Earl O'Neill, which is noticed more particularly in the article on Drummaul.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019