All Lewis entries for Kilmahon



Kilmahon

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork

KILMAHON

KILMAHON, a parish, in the barony of IMOKILLY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S. E.) from Cloyne, on the southern coast ; containing 1658 inhabitants. It comprises 2468 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at 1689 per annum. The land is generally rich and well cultivated, and a beautiful vale extends from the coast up to Cloyne, but near Ballycotton, during easterly winds, the sea beats over the strand with great fury. The valley rests on a substratum of limestone, which rises to the surface at Moanagarra, where a small quarry is worked: the higher grounds are based on clay-slate. The principal seats are Snugborough, the residence of T. G. Durden, Esq. ; Shanagary House, of T. 3. Keane, Esq. ; Ballybane, of T. Gaggin, Esq. ; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. B. Heazell, in the pleasure grounds of which are some fine verbenas and other exotic plants. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £506. 18. 6. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £210 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1805: the glebe comprises 12a. 1r. 21p. The church, which is a remarkably neat edifice, was built in 1800: the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £147 for its repair. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Cloyne, and has a small plain chapel at Shanagary. There are two private schools, in which about 100 children are educated. At Ballymaloe is a very curious old house, built by the Fitzgeralds, and forfeited in the war of 1641 : it is now the property of Mr. Forster, and in the hall are two pairs of elks' horns of very large size, which were found on the estate in 1714. At Shanagary are the ruins of a castle, which was unsuccessfully defended by the Earl of Desmond against Queen Elizabeth's troops: it was held by the Irish in 1641, but was captured by Cromwell, by whose orders it was dismantled.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021