All entries for Killukin (Roscommon)



Killukin (Roscommon)

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Roscommon

KILLUKEN

KILLUKEN, a parish, in the barony and county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 miles (W. by S.) from Strokestown, on the road from that place to Castlerea ; containing 3498 inhabitants. It comprises 3799 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, the best of which is in large grazing farms, and that of inferior quality in small arable farms ; there is a great quantity of bog, also several lakes, of which Ardekellen is the largest. Limestone abounds, but it is not quarried. The principal seats are Mount Brown, the residence of G. Brown, Esq. ; and Doon, the seat of J. Cooper, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of Ardclare the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Cork: the tithes amount to #149. 9., of which #78. 8. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kilcooley. About 180 children are educated in three private schools. There are several forts, of which the largest is called Rathmore, or the great fort.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019