All entries for Clooney (Corcomroe)



Clooney (Corcomroe)

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Clare

CLOUNEY

CLOUNEY, or CLONEY, a parish, in the barony of CORCOMROE, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Ennistymon, on the road to Ennis ; containing 3371 inhabitants. This parish comprises 9741 statute acres, which are mostly in tillage ; the land is good and the system of agriculture gradually improving ; there is a considerable quantity of bog. It is in the diocese of Kilfenora ; the rectory is part of the union and corps of the deanery of Kilfenora, and the vicarage forms part of the union of Kiltoraght. The tithes amount to #160, of which two-thirds are payable to the rector and the remainder to the vicar. Divine service is performed in the glebe-house of Kiltoraght. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Ennistymon, and contains a chapel at Tierlahan, near Kilthomas, in which a school is held ; and there are also two private schools, in which altogether are about 250 children.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019