All entries for Moyarta



Moyarta

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Clare

CARRIGAHOLT

CARRIGAHOLT, a small port and village, in the parish and barony of MOYARTA, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 11? miles (W.) from Kilrush: the population is returned with the parish. It is situated on the harbour and road-stead of the same name, within the estuary of the river Shannon. The castle, now in wins, was formerly the fortified residence of the Mac Mahons, the chiefs of that part of this country which forms the peninsula called the "Western Corkavaskin," still denominated "the west." The last siege to which it was exposed was in 1649, when it was taken by Gen. Ludlow, and Teigue Keigh was the last of the Mac Mahons to whom it belonged. On his attainder it passed by grant from Queen Elizabeth to Henry O'Brien, brother to the Earl of Thomond, whose unfortunate grandson, Lord Clare, resided in it when he raised a regiment of horse, called the "Yellow Dragoons," which in 1689 was the flower of King James's army. The town now belongs to Lady Burton, whose ancestor was an officer in the army of King William. The wins of the castle occupy a bold situation on the verge of a cliff overhanging the sea, enclosed by a court-yard and high walls on one side, and by rocks and the bay on the other.A small quay or pier was constructed partly by the late Fishery Board and partly by grand jury presentments: it is of considerable service to agriculture and the fisheries, and is frequented by six hookers, of seven tons each, and upwards of 500 corrachs, which give employment to about 400 persons, particularly in the herring fishery, which commences in July. This is the principal place in the neighbourhood for the shipment of agricultural produce; 900 tons of grain, 700 firkins of butter,and 3000 pigs, having lately been shipped here in one year, by three individuals: it also exports hides to Limerick. The bay of Carrigaholt lies opposite that part of the Kerry shore, within the mouth of the Shannon, which is called th Bale bar. . It has good and secure anchorage with the wind to the northward of west, but being entirely exposed to the ocean swell, the sea, which sets in with southerly or westerly winds, renders it unsafe to lie there. The inner harbour, however, is better protected from those winds, but is shallow, having no more than 2? or 3 fathoms of water within the line from Carrigaholt Castle to the opposite side of the bay. Capt. Manby, who was employed by the Irish Government to survey the Shannon, recommended that a small pier should be extended from the spot called Lord Clare's pier, (which was formed in 1608 hut has gone to decay,) at nearly a right angle to the shore, sufficiently to afford shelter to the one that already exists, and that this should be carried out farther, so as to permit boats to sail from it till almost low water. The roads in the immediate vicinity of the village are in bad condition, and must be repaired before the port can be easily accessible by land. The valley on the north side of Kilkadrane Hill having been often mistaken by night for the proper channel for entering the Shannon, a light has been placed on the top of the hilt red to seaward, and a fixed bright light as seen descending the river. In the village is a public dispensary, and near it is the R. C. chapel.-See MOY-ARTA.

MOYARTA

MOYARTA, or MOYFERTA, a parish, in the barony of MOYARTA, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 9 miles (S. W.) from Kilrush, on the western coast ; containing 7441 inhabitants. It forms part of a peninsula bounded on the north-west by the Atlantic, and on the south-east by the river Shannon, and com-prises 7967 statute acres, as rated for the county cess, the greater part of which is under tillage ; sea-weed and sand are extensively used for manure, and the state of agriculture is gradually improving : loose limestone is found in the cliffs on that part of the coast called the White Strand. Within the limits of the parish are the bay of Carrigaholt (noticed in the article on that place), the creek of Querin, and part of an inlet called Scagh or Poulanishery, all on the Shannon side of the peninsula. Querin creek produces fine shrimps and flat fish, and affords a safe harbour for boats that fit out here for the herring fishery. The inlet of Poulanishery, which extends three miles inland in two different directions, also affords safe anchorage for small vessels : a vast quantity of turf is annually sent hence to Limerick and other places, and at its mouth is a ferry, communicating between Kilrush parish and "the West", as this peninsula is generally called. To distinguish by night the proper course on entering the Shannon, a light has been established on the summit of Kilkadrane Hill, red sea-ward, with a bright fixed light towards the river. At Kilkadrane is a station of the coast-guard, being one of the six constituting the district of Miltown-Malbay. At Querin is the residence of Lieut. Borough, R. N., a curious building in the old Dutch style, with a long projecting roof, which, together with the bricks, is said to have been made in Holland for Mr. Vanhoogart, who built the house ; at Dunaha is the ancient residence of the Moroney family ; and at Mount Pleasant is the residence of Joseph Cox, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Killaloe ; part of the rectory is impropriate in the Representatives of Lord Castlecoote, and the remainder forms part of the corps of the prebend of Inniscattery ; the vicarage forms part of the union of Kilrush. The tithes amount to #470. 15. 4?., of which #208. 18. 5? is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the incumbent, as prebendary and vicar, In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Dunaha, also called Carrigaholt, comprising the parishes of Moyarta and Kilballyhone, and containing the chapels of Dunaha, Carrigaholt, and Cross : that of Carrigaholt is a modern edifice. At Clarefield is a school, established by, and under the patronage of, Joseph Cox, Esq., aided by subscription. The ruins of the old church still remain, and the burial-ground contains some tombstones inscribed with the celebrated French name Conti, some of whom are supposed to have been visiters of the Clare family, at the neighbouring castle of Carrigaholt. On a small spot containing about an acre of land, nearly insulated by the Atlantic, are the remains of Dunlicky Castle, the approach to which is guarded by a high and narrow tower with a wall on each side ; at Knocknagarron are the remains of an old signal tower, or telegraph ; and at Carrigaholt are those of the castle called Carrick-an-oultagh, or "the Ulsterman's rock," said to have been built by a native of the county of Down, and once the residence of the ancient family of Mac Mahon.-See CARRIGAHOLT.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019