All entries for Killimer



Killimer

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Clare

KILLEYMUR

KILLEYMUR, or KILLIMER, a parish, in the barony of CLONDERLAW, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (E. S. E.) from Kilrush, on the river Shannon ; containing 3023 inhabitants. It comprises 4621 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is principally under tillage. The land is generally good, and there is a small quantity of bog ; sea-weed is used as manure. Flags of superior quality are quarried at Money-Point. The principal seats are Burrane House, the residence of J. Hodges, Esq. ; Donogrogue Castle, of G. Crowe Hodges, Esq. ; Caradole of R. D. Daxon, Esq. ; and Besborough, of the Rev. Theobald Butler. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, forming part of the union of Kilmurry-Clonderlaw ; the rectory is partly impropriate in the representatives of Lord Castlecoote, and partly forms a portion of the rectorial union of Kilrush. The tithes amount to #203. 1. 6?., of which #55. 7. 8?. is payable to the rector of Kilrush, #64. 12. 3?. to the impropriator, and #83. 1. 6?. to the vicar : there is a glebe of one acre. in the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kilrush, and contains a chapel, in which is a school of about 100 children. There is also a private school, in which about.30 children are taught. The ruins of the parish church, and of another small church or chapel still exist.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019