All entries for Kilfinaghta



Kilfinaghta

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Clare

KILFINAGHTY

KILFINAGHTY, a parish, in the barony of TULLA, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, on the river Ougarnee, and on the old road from Limerick to Ennis; containing, with the greater part of the post-town of Six-mile-bridge, 4132 inhabitants. It comprises 7212 statute acres, including a large portion of coarse mountain pasture and bog; the remainder is in general of good quality, and chiefly under tillage. Slate exists, but is not worked. The gentlemen's seats are Castle Crine, the residence of H. Butler, Esq.; Mount Ivers, of W. Ivers, Esq.; Castle Lake, of J. Gabbett, Esq.; Springfield, of F. Morrice, Esq.; and Mount Ivers Lodge, of E. Ferriter, Esq. It is in the diocese of Killaloe: the rectory forms part of the union of Omullod, and the vicarage is united to those of Kilmurryne gaul, Tomfinlough, Finogh, Clonloghan, Kilconry, and Bunratty, constituting the union of Kilfinaghty, in the gift of the Bishop. The tithes amount to #177. 15. 2?., of which #85. 7. 4?. is payable to the rector, and the remainder to the vicar, who receives the entire tithes of the townland of Ballysheenmore, containing 180 plantation acres; and the entire tithes of the vicarial union amount to #330. 9. 4. The church of the union is at Six-mile-bridge, and the glebe-house is in the parish of Bunratty. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Six-mile-bridge, where the chapel is situated. About 210 children are educated in three private schools. At Ballysheen are the ruins of an ancient church, with several tombs of very early date; and within the limits of the parish are the remains of the old castles of Cappa, Castle Crine, Mounteashel, and Ballycullen; those of the last are extensive, and some vestiges of the outworks are still visible; and those of Mountcashel stand on an eminence near a lake, which thence takes its name.-See SIX-MILE-BRIDGE.

KILMURRYNEGAUL

KILMURRYNEGAUL, a parish, in the barony of TULLA, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 2? miles (N. by W.) from Six-mile-bridge, on the road to Tulla ; containing 628 inhabitants. It comprises 2129 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, mostly under tillage: the state of agriculture has of late been much improved, chiefly through the exertions of T. Studdert, Esq., of Kilkishen, whose residence, a handsome mansion surrounded by a well-wooded and highly improved demesne, is within the limits of this parish, and adjoining the village of Kilkishen, in the parish of Clonlea. It is in the diocese of Killaloe: the rectory forms part of the rectorial union of Ogashin, and the vicarage part of the union of Kilfinaghty. The tithes amount to #78. 9. 2?., of which #41. 10. 9?. is payable to the rector, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Six-mile-bridge, and has a chapel near the village of Kilmurry. The ruins of the old. church still remain in the burial-ground, and within the limits of the parish are the ruined castles of Rossroe, Kilmurry, and Kilkishen ; the last stands in Mr. Studdert's demesne.

SIX-MILE-BRIDGE

SIX-MILE-BRIDGE, a post-town, partly in the parish of KILFENTINAN, barony of BUNRATTY, but chiefly in that of KILFINAGHTY, barony of TULLA, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 8 miles (N. W. by W.) from Limerick, and 101? (W. S. W.) from Dublin, on the old mail road from Limerick to Ennis ; containing 1491 inhabitants. This place is called in Irish Abhuinn 0' Gearna, from the river Gearna or Ougarnee, on which it is situated : it was formerly of some note, and had a chapel or vicarial house belonging to the Dominican friars of St. Saviour, Limerick, of which no vestige now exists. The town, which is irregularly built, in 1831 contained 229 houses : although advantageously situated on the river Ougarnee, which flows into the Shannon at Bunratty, and is navigable thence for boats to within half a mile of the town, it has been long declining ; its market, formerly held on Friday, is discontinued, and the market-house, once a handsome building, is now unroofed. A large mill, formerly used for grinding corn, and since used as a paper-mill, has lately been discontinued ; as have some mills below the town for several years. A fair held on Dec. 5th for store and fat cattle is much frequented by provision merchants from Cork and Limerick. General sessions are held here in June ; petty sessions occasionally on Tuesdays ; and a seneschal's court usually once in six weeks, for the recovery of small debts. A constabulary police force is stationed in the town. The sessions-house is a commodious building, attached to which is a small but well regulated bridewell. Here are the church of the union of Bunratty, and the principal R. C. chapel of the district. The former is an old edifice, of which the tower, being considered insecure, was taken down a few years since, and for rebuilding it and repairing the church the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted #542. Rn the R. C. divisions Six-mile-bridge gives name to the union or district, comprising the parishes of Kilmurrynegaul, Kilfinaghty, and Finogh, and containing the chapels of Six-mile-bridge and Kilmurry ; the former is a spacious modern building. The school-house near the chapel is a large building, erected by subscription about 10 years since ; the classics are taught in this school, which is under the superintendence of the parish priest. A dispensary for the poor is open three days in the week.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019