All Lewis entries for Gleninagh



Gleninagh

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Clare

GLANINAGH

GLANINAGH, a parish, in the barony of BURREN, 7- miles county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 7- (W.) from Burren, on the southern shore of Galway bay ; containing 545 inhabitants, of which number, 220 are in the village. It comprises about 4200 statute acres, which chiefly consist of rocky mountain pasture ; the portion in tillage is manured with sea-weed, an abundance of which is procured in the bay. It comprehends the lofty headland called Blackhead, in lat. 53- 9' 20" and lon, 9- 13', along the north-eastern shore of which is dcep water and shelter for large vessels. Several boats belonging to this parish are engaged in the fishery of Galway bay. A new line of road, about four miles in length, is now in progress along the coast round Blackhead, which will nearly complete the line of communication round the coast of the county. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kilfenora, forming part of the union and corps of the treasurership of the cathedral of Kilfenora: the tithes amount to £32. 10. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Glyn, or Glenarraha. The ruins of the church still exist in the burial-ground.

MURROGHKELLY

MURROGHKELLY, a village, in the parish of GLANINAGH, barony of BURREN, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER ; containing 15 houses and 101 inhabitants.

MURROGHTWOHY

MURROGHTWOHY, a village, in the parish of GLANINAGH, barony of BURREN, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER ; containing 35 houses and 212 inhabitants.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020