All entries for Drumcreehy



Drumcreehy

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Clare

BALLYCONREE

BALLYCONREE, a hamlet, in the parish of DROMCREHY, barony of BURREN, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER; containing 9 houses and 60 inhabitants.

BALLYNACRAGGY

BALLYNACRAGGY, a hamlet, in the parish of DROMCREEHY, barony of BURREN, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (W.) from Burren; containing 19 houses and 123 inhabitants. This place, which derives its name from an ancient castle, of which there are some remains, is situated on the road from Burren to Ballyvaughan. A school is about to be established, for which purpose Captain Kirwan has given the site and #10 towards the erection of the building.-See DROMCREEHY.

BALLYVAUGHAN

BALLYVAUGHAN, a village, in the parish of DROMCREEHY, barony of BURREN, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (W.) from Burren; containing 151 inhabitants. This place is situated on a small bay to which it gives name on the western coast, and opening into the bay of Galway. The village, in 1831, contained 23 houses, since which time several new houses have been built, and it is progressively improving. Some of the inhabitants are employed in the herring fishery, which is carried on successfully on this coast. The bay is very shallow and in general fit only for boats; but small vessels may anchor in 24 fathoms of water on good holding ground, about two or three cables' length south of Finvarra Point. There are some remains of an old quay, which is now of little use; a new quay would add greatly to the prosperity of the place, as, independently of the fishery, turf is landed here in great quantities from Connemara for the supply of the neighbouring country. A market for corn and pigs is held weekly on Thursday; and fairs have been lately established on the 24th of June and 23rd of September. Here is a station of the constabulary police; also a coast-guard station, which is one of the seven that constitute the district of Galway. A court for the manor of Burren is held by the seneschal about once in six weeks, at which small debts are recoverable; and the road sessions for the district are also held in the village. At a small distance to the east, and near the shore, are some vestiges of the old castle of Ballyvaughan.-See DROMCREEHY.

DROMCREHY

DROMCREHY, or DRUMCREELY, a parish, in the barony of BURREN, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (W.) from Burren, on the bay of Ballyvaughan, and on the road from Burren to Kilfenora ; containing 1758 inhabitants. It comprises 6186 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which a considerable portion is rocky mountain pasture, principally devoted to the grazing of sheep. The substratum is limestone, which inn various places rises above the surface. Sea-weed, an abundance of which is procured in the bay, is the principal manure. The seats are Harbour Hill, tIne cottage residence of G. Mc Namara, Esq.: Sans Souci, of the Rev. J. Westropp ; Ballyallaben, of J. O'Brien, Esq. ; Mucknish, of J. S. Moran, Esq. ; and Newtown Castle, of C. O'Loghlen, Esq. In the little creek of Pouldoody is a small oyster bed, the property of J. S. Moran, Esq., of Mucknish ; the oysters taken there have long been celebrated for their delicious flavour, and are always disposed of by the proprietor in presents to his friends. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kilfenora, united, in 1795, to the rectories and vicarages of Glaninagh, Rathbourney, and Killonoghan, together constituting the union of Droincrehy and corps of the treasurership of Kilfenora, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes of the parish amount to #115, and of the entire benefice, to #330. The church is in ruins ; that of the union is in the adjoining parish of Rathbourney, In the R. C. divisions the parish is part of the union or district of Glenarragha, or Glynn. A school is aided by the Duke of Buckingham, and another is about to be established. In this parish are the ruins of the castles of Mucknish and Ballynacraggy, and some vestiges of that of Ballyvaughan: at Newtown is a castle of unusual form, consisting of a round tower resting on a square base, and said to have been formerly the residence of the Prince of Burren ; it is in good preservation and inhabited. On the lands called "The Bishop's Quarter" are the remains of a religious house, of which no particulars are recorded.-See BALLYVAUGHAN.

LOUGHRASK

LOUGHRASK, a hamlet, in the parish of DROMCREEHY, barony of BURREN, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER ; containing 17 houses and 95 inhabitants.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019