All entries for Ballycor



Ballycor

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Antrim

BALLYCLARE

BALLYCLARE, a market and post-town, partly in the parish of BALLYNURE, but chiefly in that of BALLYEASTON, barony of LOWER BELFAST, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 93? miles (N.) from Dublin; containing 824 inhabitants. This place is situated close to the Six-mile-water, and at the extremity of the mail coach road, which branches off from that between Belfast and Antrim. The town, which is neatly built, contains about 180 houses, and is noted for its monthly linen market, and for its horse fairs, which are held on May 24th, July 19th, Aug. 23rd, and Nov. 22nd. There are places of worship for Presbyterians and Wesleyan Methodists, the former in connection with the presbytery of Antrim, and of the second class.

BALLYCOR

BALLYCOR, a parish, in the barony of UPPER ANTRIM, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 1 mile (N. by E.) from Ballyclare: the population is returned with the parish of Ballyeaston. This parish, which is situated on the road from Broughshane to Lame, and is bounded on the north and east by the Six-mile-water, comprises 7330 statute acres, according to the Ordnance survey. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Connor, and is partly one of the five parishes which constitute the union and corps of the prebend of Carncastle in the cathedral of Connor, and partly one of the two which form the perpetual curacy of Ballyeaston.

BALLYEASTON

BALLYEASTON, a district parish, in the barony of UPPER ANTRIM, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER on the road from Ballyclare to Lame; containing with the post-town of Ballyclare and the grange of Doagh, 5892 inhabitants. It consists of the ancient parishes of Ballvcor and Rashee, comprising, according to the Ordnance survey, 13,790? statute acres; about one-half of which are arable. The village, which is l? Irish mile (N.) from Ballyclare, is situated at the junction of several roads, near the Six-mile-water, and in 1831 contained 61 houses. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Connor, and in the patronage of the Prebendary of Carncastle: the income of the curate is #103. 1. 6?. per ann., of which #69. 4. 7?. arises from tithe, #13. 6. 11. is added by the prebendary, and #20 from Primate Boulter's fund. The church was erected in 1786. There is neither glebe-house nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Carrickfergus and Lame. There are four places of worship for Presbyterians; one in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the first class ; one with the Presbytery of Antrim, of the second class; one with the Seceding Synod, also of the second class; and one for Covenanters, which is open every alternate Sunday. There are four schools, in which are about 140 boys and 90 girls; also nine pay schools, in which are about 160 boys and 110 girls. -See BALLYCLARE and DOAGH.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019