ARDCLINIS, a parish, in the Lower half-barony of GLENARM, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 6 miles (N. by w.) from Glenarm; containing 1617 inhabitants. This parish is situated on Red bay in the North Channel, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, l5,691 statute acres, of which 15,144 are applotted under the tithe act and valued at #2055 per annum. The surface is hilly and irregular, but the land in cultivation is fertile, and the system of agriculture is in a very improving state. Much of the wasteland has been planted, especially the hills, imparting to the coast an interesting and cheerful aspect. The arable and inhabited portion of the parish consists of one long strip extending from the village of Carnlough along the sea-coast into Red bay, and up one side of the beautiful glen of Glenariff. On the land side it is enclosed by a steep and lofty mountain, ascended only by narrow paths traversing its acclivities, by which the inhabitants convey their fuel in slide carts. The river Acre rises in the neighbouring mountains, and forms a boundary between this parish and that of Layde; it abounds with excellent trout, and where it empties itself into the sea is a salmon fishery. The highest part of the mountains is called Carnealapt-Aura, and near Broughshane they are mostly covered with heath and abound with moor game. Glenariff, one of the seven great glens, is flat in the centre; the river winds through the whole extent of it in a serpentine course, and being on a level with the sea, whenever a high tide meets a flood, it overflows its banks and inundates the glen; the rise on each side towards the rocks assumes an appearance of circular rising ground. Three-fourths of the superficial extent of the parish are composed of mountainous, marshy, boggy, and unprofitable land. Limestone and basalt are found in great abundance. The scenery is enlivened with several gentlemen's seats, among which are Drumnasole, the residence of F. Turnley, Esq.; Knappan, of Major Higginson; and Bay Lodge, of Major Williams. Several of the inhabitants are engaged in the fishery carried on in the bay, where there is a small but commodious harbour, and vessels from 14 to 20 tons' burden can enter the river Acre at high water. Fairs are held at Carnlough. The royal military road passes through this parish, the most mountainous of all the parishes on the coast, notwithstanding which the road preserves a perfect level throughout, at an elevation of a few feet above high water mark; the excavations
round Garron Point will be 360 feet in depth. Garron Point is one of the eight coast-guard stations, in the district of Carrickfergus.
CARNLOUGH, or CARNALLOCK, a maritime village, in the parish of ARDCLINIS, barony of LOWER GLENARM, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 2? miles (N. by W.) from Glenarm; containing 213 inhabitants. This place, originally a small fishing village, is pleasantly and advantageously situated between the bays of Cushendall and Glenarm, and from the fineness
of its strand is much frequented during the summer months for sea-bathing. It consists of 47 houses, and many elegant villas and sea-bathing lodges have been erected in the valley of Glencule, forming an interesting and highly ornamental feature in that secluded vale. The surrounding scenery possesses great natural beauty, and in some parts assumes a character of majestic grandeur. A very extensive deer park, forming part of the demesne of Glenarm castle, and some richly wooded tracts and thriving plantations add greatly to its beauty. The bay of Carnlough is small but very commodious; and a quay for shipping, erected at an expense of #1200 by the late P. Gibbons, Esq., will contribute greatly to promote the prosperity of the place.-See ARDCLINIS.