All Lewis entries for Clonleigh



Clonleigh

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Wexford

CLONLEIGH

CLONLEIGH, a parish, in the barony of BANTRY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (N. E.) from New Ross ; containing 661 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the high road from Ross to Newtownbarry, and contains 2679 statute acres, principally under tillage, The rectory is part of the union of St. Mary's New Ross, in the diocese of Ferns ; for the clerical duties it forms part of the perpetual cure of Templeudigan, The tithes amount to £101. 15. 8-. In the R. C. divisions it is included in the union or district of Templeudigan, where the chapel is situated. There is a hedge school of about 10 children : and a school is about to be built by subscription, near the chapel of Poulpeasty, on two acres of land granted by C. R. Frizell, Esq., of Stapolin.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021