All Lewis entries for Tyfarnham



Tyfarnham

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Westmeath

TYFERNAN

TYFERNAN, or TYFARNAM, a parish, in the barony of CORKAREE, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 5- miles (N.) from Mullingar, on the road from Multifarnham to Castlepollard ; containing 310 inhabitants. This parish is situated between Loughs Dereveragh and Owhel, and contains 1844- statute acres of arable and pasture land. It is an impropriate cure, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of the perpetual cure of Leney ; the rectory is impropriate in Sir John B. Piers, Bart. The tithes amount to £35, payable to the impropriator. The church has long been in ruins. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recommended that this small parish should be annexed to the adjoining parish of Portshangan, In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Rathconnell, or Turin. There are two private schools, in which 70 children are taught.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021