All Lewis entries for Templepatrick



Templepatrick

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Westmeath

MOYVORE

MOYVORE, or TEMPLEPATRICK, a parish, in the barony of RATHCONRATH, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 9? miles (W.) from Mullingar, on the road to Ballymahon ; containing 765 inhabitants, of which number, 213 are in the village, The parish comprises 1900 statute acres, of which a considerable portion is bog, and the remainder, which is of good quality, is chiefly undertillage: limestone abounds. The village consists of 42 houses, and is a constabulary police station ; fairs are held on May 4th, Aug. 20th, and Dec. 5th. The parish is in the diocese of Meath, and is entirely impropriate in the Representatives of the Earl of Belvidere: the Protestant parishioners attend the church of Almoritia. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Moyvore, Forgney, and Piercetown, in which union are two chapels, one in each of the two latter places. Nearly 400 children are taught in a national school. At Templepatrick are the remains of an old fortress, and within the limits of the parish are several raths.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021