All Lewis entries for Russagh



Russagh

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Westmeath

RUSSAGH

RUSSAGH, a parish, in the barony of MOYGOISH, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4- miles (S. E.) from Edgeworthstown, on the road from Dublin to Sligo ; containing 778 inhabitants. This parish, which extends on the south to the river Inny, and includes the small lake of Lough Gar or Cappa, comprises 6500 statute acres, which, exclusive of a large proportion of bog, is in general good land and chiefly under tillage. The soil is fertile and the system of agriculture improving ; limestone abounds and is quarried for agricultural purposes, and there are also quarries of black flagstone of very fine quality. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardagh, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Westmeath, The tithes amount to £86. 5., of which £52. 10. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the bishop ; the glebe comprises 14 acres, valued at £21. 14. per annum. There is no church, but divine service is regularly performed in a private house licensed by the bishop. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parish of Rathaspick, in each of which is a chapel ; that of Russagh is situated near the village of Rathowen. There is a private school, in which are about 85 children ; also a Sunday school. There are some remains of the old church with its cemetery ; and some Danish raths and mineral springs.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021