BALLINALACK, a village, in the parish of LENEY, barony of CORKAREE, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 8 miles (N. W. by N.) from Mullingar; containing 51 houses and 334 inhabitants. This place is situated on the banks of the river Inny, over which is a bridge of five arches, and on the road from Mullingar to Longford. It is a chief constabulary
police station, and contains the parochial school, which is under the patronage of J. Gibbons, Esq.
BRUMBRUSNA, a hamlet, in the parish of LENEY, barony of CORKAREE, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (N. N. W.) from Mullingar; containing 16 houses and 94 inhabitants. It is situated on Lough Hoyle, and on the mail coach road from Mullingar to Longford, and is surrounded by three lofty hills.
LENEY, a parish, in the barony of CORKAREE, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (N. N. W.) from Mullingar, on the mail coach road from Dublin to Sligo ; containing, with the villages of Ballinalack and Brumbrusna (both of which are separately described), 1479 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the south-west by Lough Iron, and on the south-east by Lough Hoyle, comprises 3560 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The lands are chiefly under tillage ; the system of agriculture is unimproved, and there is but very little bog ; black stone of a good quality is quarried for building and also for flags. Clanhugh, a lodge belonging to Lord Forbes, and Lakeview, the residence of E. Daly, Esq., are in the parish. Fairs are held at Ballinalack twice in the year. The living is an impropriate curacy, in the diocese of Meath, episcopally united to the curacies of Templeoran, Kilmacnevin, Lecken, and Tyfernon, together constituting the union of Leney, in the patronage of Sir J. B. Piers, Bart., in whom the rectory is impropriate: the tithes amount to £118. 2. 1., payable to the impropriator ; the curate's stipend is £78, arising from payments of £64 per ann. from Primate Boulter's and £14 from Bishop Evans's fund. The glebe-house was erected in 1817, by a gift of £450 and a loan of £50 from the late Board of First Fruits ; the glebe comprises 20 acres of profitable land, subject to a rent of £36. 2. 6. The church, a plain edifice, was rebuilt near the village of Brumbrusna by a loan of £350 from the same Board, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have granted £129 for its repair. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Multifarnam. About 150 children are taught in three public schools, of which the Farra Charter school, for boarding, clothing, and apprenticing 100 children with a premium of £7, and a gratuity of £3 to each boy on the expiration of his indentures, was endowed by the Rev. W. Wilson ; and the parochial school is supported under the patronage of J. Gibbons, Esq., who gives the master £10 per ann. with a house and garden, and appropriates 2- acres of land to it.