All Lewis entries for Kilnamanagh



Kilnamanagh

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork

DURSEY

DURSEY, an island, in the parish of KILNAMANNAGH, barony of BERE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 8 miles (S. W.) from Castletown ; containing 198 inhabitants. On this island part of the French army landed in 1796, and on the following day were taken prisoners in Castletown. After this the government erected a signal tower on the highest point of the island, which formed the first of a line of signal stations that extended to Cork. Dursey is situated off the south-west coast, at the extremity of a peninsula whose shores border the entrances to Bantry bay and Bearhaven on one side, and to the river Kenmare on the other. It is in lat. 51? 34' 40", and lon. 10? 15', extending 1? mile in length by ? a mile in breadth, and comprises 754 acres, the greater part of which is a rough mountainous tract, interspersed with rocky pas ture and coarse arable land. It is the property of the Earl of Bantry. Between the island and the mainland is a narrow sound, through which vessels may sail with a favourable wind and tide ; and near it is Ballydonaghan bay, which is deep water, having from 20 to 30 fathoms close to the shore. Contiguous to the island are several rocks. Near the ferry crossing the sound are the remains of a very old church, called Our Lady's abbey, consisting of part of the walls only.

KILNAMANNAGH

KILNAMANNAGH, or KILMANNAGH, a parish, in the barony of BERE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S. W.) from Castletown ; containing 5612 inhabitants, This parish is situated on the south-western coast, forming a peninsula between the bays of Bantry and Ballydonagan, and comprises 8895 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3316 per annum. Of these, 3126 are arable, and 5769 bog and mountain. The land is tolerably fertile, and is chiefly cultivated by the spade, and manured with sea-weed and sand. The mountains consist of slate, of which there are excellent quarries at Lickbarren, but imperfectly worked. Asbestos is found at Kenlogh, and near Blackhall ; lead and copper ore are frequently discovered in small masses, and iron ore is abundant. At the south-western extremity of the parish is Crow head, in lat. 51- 34' 20" and lon. 10- 11' 4O." Here is also Blackhall Head, on which is a signal station, and between it and Sheep Head is the entrance to Bantry bay. Dursey island is separated from the western coast by a deep and dangerous channel, about 50 yards wide, through which the tide runs with great rapidity. There is a coast-guard station at Garinish Point, one of the three in the Castletown district. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ross, forming part of the union of Kilaconenagh ; the rectory is partly impropriate in Lord Riversdale, and partly appropriate to the vicarage. The tithes amount to £278. 12. 3-., of which £130 is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is in the diocese of Kerry, and is the head of a union or district, called Castletown, comprising this parish and Kilaconenagh ; there is a chapel at Cahirmore. There are five private schools, in which about 380 children are educated. The old church is a picturesque ruin.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021