All Lewis entries for Kilcleagh



Kilcleagh

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Westmeath

BALLYNAHOWN

BALLYNAHOWN, a village, in the parish of KILLALEAGH, barony of CLONLONAN, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S.) from Athlone, on the road to Parsonstown: the population is returned with the parish. It was for more than nine centuries the residence of the Malone family, whose ancient mansion, built on the site of an old castle and now unoccupied, is the principal object of interest. The estate, together with the old family mansion, called Ballynahown House, has at length passed into other hands. Here is a constabulary police station.-See Kilcleagh.

KILCLEAGH

KILCLEAGH, or MOATE, a parish, in the barony of CLONLONAN, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, on the road from Athlone to Dublin ; containing, with the post-town of Moate, 6160 inhabitants. It comprises 9231 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is principally grazing land ; there is also a considerable quantity of bog, and abundance of limestone and gritstone. The principal seats are Ballymahown, the ancient residence of the Malone family ; Castle Daly, the seat of J. M. Daly, Esq. ; Newbridge, of R. Matthews, Esq. ; Monte Castle, of Cuthbert J. Clibborn, Esq. ; and Farnagh, of R. Adamson, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £276. 6. 11. The church was built in 1782, enlarged by aid of a gift of £300 and a loan of £500 from the late Board of First Fruits in 1819, and lately repaired by a grant of £228 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The glebe-house was purchased in 1819, by aid of a gift of £300 and a loan of £500 from the same Board: the glebe comprises 86 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish is in the diocese of Ardagh: part of it forms the district of Moate, in which are two chapels, one there and one at Bogagh ; the other, with the parish of Lemonaghan, constitutes that of Ballymahown, in which also are two chapels, one at Ballymahown, in this parish. There is also a meeting-house for the Society of Friends. About 250 children are educated in four public, and 210 in seven private, schools. Near Farnagh are the ruins of the castle of Clonlonan, which gave name to the barony.-See MOATE.

MOATE

MOATE, or MOATE-A-GRENOGE, a market and post-town, partly in the parish of KILMANAGHAN, but chiefly in that of KILCLEAGH, barony of CLONLONAN, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 7? miles (E. by S.) from Athlone, and 52 (W. by S.) from Dublin, on the mail coach road to Athlone ; containing 1785 inhabitants. This place takes its name from a rath or moat at the back of the town, in what was originally the territory of the McLoughlins, and which was called after Grace McLoughlin, Grana-oge, or "Grace's Moat." During the war of the Revolution, a large body of the adherents of Jas. II., which had been pursued from Ballymore by the forces under Gen. de Ginkel, drew up here in order to give battle to their pursuers ; but they were driven into the town, whence, after they had vainly endeavoured to intrench themselves, they fled to Athlone, with the loss of about 300 men, several officers, their baggage, a great quantity of arms, and 500 horses. On their arrival at Athlone their defeat had caused such consternation in the garrison of that place, that the gates were closed against the fugitives from a fear of admitting their pursuers also, and several fled for shelter to the bogs and many perished in the river. The town, which is neatly built and of pleasing appearance, contains 330 houses, of which number, 244 are slated, and the remainder thatched. The manufacture of cottons and linens, formerly carried on here to a very great extent, is now much diminished, affording employment only to about 100 persons ; and several large distilleries and breweries have been altogether discontinued. The market is on Thursday, and fairs are held on April 25th, June 22nd, Oct. 2nd, and Dec. 3rd. A chief constabulary police force is stationed here ; a manorial court is held on the first Monday in every alternate month ; petty sessions on alternate Thursdays, and the general quarter sessions for the district at the usual times. The court-house is a commodious building ; attached to it is a small bridewell, The parish church of Kilcleagh is situated in the town ; there are also a R. C. chapel, a small convent to which a chapel is attached, places of worship for the Society of Friends, Baptists, and Wesleyan Methodists, and a dispensary. Moate Castle is the seat of Cuthbert J. Clibborn, Esq.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020