All Lewis entries for Kilmoe



Kilmoe

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork

CROOKHAVEN

CROOKHAVEN, a village, in the parish of KILMOE, Western Division of the barony of WEST CARBERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 19 miles (S. W.) from Skibbereen ; containing 424 inhabitants. It is situated upon the harbour of Crookhaven, and consists of a long irregular street, at one end of which stands the parochial church, erected in 1700, at the expense of Dr. Brown, Bishop of Cork, for the accommodation of sailors frequenting the port. It was formerly a place of considerable importance, many foreign vessels having resorted hither for provisions, and during the last war was much frequented by ships of the navy. The harbour being very spacious and well sheltered, renders it a desirable haven, and particularly convenient for vessels bound eastward. A considerable trade is carried on in the exportation of wheat, oats, pork, and butter, and timber and coal are occasionally imported. Here are a constabulary police and a coast-guard station, which latter is one of the nine included in the Skibbereen district. The parochial and Sunday schools are under the superintendence of the rector, and a school is chiefly supported by the Rev. L. O'Sullivan, P.P. Not far from the town are the ruins of Castle Mehan, which was built by the Mehans or O'Heas in 1540.

KILMOE

KILMOE, a parish, in the Western division of the barony of WEST CARBERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER ; containing, with the villages of Rock Island and Crookhaven (both of which are described under their respective heads), 6889 inhabitants. It forms a peninsula on the southern coast, bounded by Dunmanus bay and Crookhaven ; and comprises 10,738 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. About one-third of the land is under tillage, chiefly by spadehusbandry, and the remainder is bog and mountain land, but the base of the mountains affords good pasturage ; the highest mountain is Cahir, near Mizen Head. The scenery is very bold and interesting: the mountains are of schistose formation, based on argillaceous grit, with veins of quartz intermingled ; deposits of copper are found in various places and masses of it are found in the mountain streams, but no mines have been opened: there are several small lakes. On its western and southern boundaries are three remarkable headlands, namely, Three Castle Head, Mizen Head, called by Ptolemy Notium, or the South Promontory, it being the most southwestern land in Ireland, in lat. 51- 26' 161", and lon. 9- 50'; and Brow Head, also said to be the Notium of Ptolemy. Dunmanus bay, Which bounds the parish on the north-west, has deep water and good anchorage almost as far up as Mannin island, but is greatly exposed to westerly winds, and is little frequented except by small vessels, which can ride in Dunmanus creek or above Mannin island. Besides this island there are in the bay Owen, Horse, Colt, Lamb, Bird, Furze, and Carbery islands, of which only the last is inhabited. Within the limits of the parish are numerous bays and creeks, the principal of which are Ballydevlin bay, Crookhaven, and Barley cove, in each of which there is good anchorage. Petty sessions are held at Tourmore on alternate Wednesdays, and there is a constabulary police station at Goleen. The principal seats are Rockview, the residence of Florence McCarty, Esq. ; Seaview, of D. Coghlan, Esq. ; Rock Island House, of J. Notter, Esq. ; Ballydevlin, of L. J. Fleming, Esq. ; Crookhaven House, of R. Doe, Esq. ; Ballynaule, of J. Baker, Esq. ; Goleen House, of J. Mccarthy, Esq. ; and Tourmore, of R. Bailie, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cork, and in the alternate patronage of the Crown and the Bishop: the tithes amount to £500. There is no glebe-house ; the glebe comprises 7a. Or. 4p. Here are some extensive tracts of mountain land belonging to the see of Cork, but now in the hands of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The church is at Crookhaven. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of West Skull, and has a chapel at Goleen, which was built in 1806. There are five public schools, in which about 400 children are educated, and about 200 are taught in five private schools ; there are also three Sunday schools, but most of them are closed during the winter. The three castles which give name to a lofty promontory are detached buildings, within a gunshot of each other: they are on the cliff and near a spacious and very clear lake, and are stated to have been built by the Mahonys in the 15th century. At Ballydevlin is a castle, called Desmond castle, which was built in 1495 by the Mahonys. Some remains of ancient castles also exist at Lisgriffin and on the shore of the lake of Dunkelly ; and near the head of Barley cove are the ruins of the old parochial church.

ROCK ISLAND

ROCK ISLAND, a village, in the parish of KILMOE, Western Division of the barony of WEST CARBERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 19 miles (S. W.) from Skibbereen: the population is returned with the parish. It is advantageously situated on a peninsulated rock opposite Crookhaven, on the south-western coast, and has risen into a flourishing state through the spirited exertions of its proprietor, R. Notter, Esq. A new line of road has been recently opened between this place and Skibbereen, and the post-office has been removed hither from Crookhaven: there is a mail to Skibbereen every second day. Immediately off the village, which contains some well-built houses, is the entrance to the spacious and well-sheltered harbour of Crookhaven, noticed in the article on that place. Here is a coast-guard station (usually called the Crookhaven station), being one of the nine included in the Skibbereen district. A dispensary has been established in the village.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021