All Lewis entries for Clonfad



Clonfad

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Westmeath


CLONFAD

CLONFAD, or CLONFADFORAN, a parish, in the barony of FARTULLAGH, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER ; containing, with part of the post-town of Tyrrell's-Pass, 1369 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Mullingar to Tyrrell's-Pass, and is intersected in the southern part by the mail coach road from Dublin to Athlone, It comprises 3264 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which about one-fifth is land of the best, three-fifths of middling, and the remainder of very inferior, quality. The land is principally in pasture ; the soil is light, and the substratum generally limestone, of which there are quarries at Calverstown ; and at Gnewbaron Hill, part of which is in this parish, is a fine quarry of grey limestone, which bears a high polish and is manufactured into handsome mantel-pieces : lime is the principal manure. The gentlemen's seats are Calverstown, the residence of J. Hornidge, Esq. ; Guilford, of F. Usher, Esq. ; Templeoran, of Mrs. Johnson ; Newcastle, of C. Coffey, Esq. ; and Dalystown, of C. Pilkington, Esq. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to #156. 18. 5?. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of #400 and a loan of #300 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1810 : the glebe comprises 20 acres. The church is a handsome edifice in the later English style, with a tower surmounted by a well-proportioned spire, and is situated at Tyrrell's-Pass ; the late Board of First Fruits lent #250, in 1828, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted #147 towards its repair. In the R, C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Fartullagh or Rochford-Bridge ; the chapel is a plain edifice, situated at Meedeen. The parochial school-house was built at an expense of #400, of which #240 was given by the Countess of Belvedere, #112 from the lord-lieutenant's fund, and #48 by the rector, who allows the master an annual donation ; in this school about 70 boys and 70 girls are instructed ; and there is a pay school at Meedeen, in which are about 20 boys and 10 girls. There are some remains of an old church in the village of Clonfad ; and at Newcastle are the ruins of an old fortification, said to have belonged to the Tyrrells.-See TYRRELL'S-PASS.


TYRRELL?S PASS

TYRRELL'S PASS, a post-town, partly in the parish of CLONFAD, but chiefly in that of NEWTOWN, barony of FARTULLAGH, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 19? miles (E.) from Athlone, and 40 (S. W.) from Dublin, on the mail coach road to Ath-lone ; containing 537 inhabitants. This town takes its name from having been for many centuries the residence of the family of Tyrrell, of whose castle near the town there are still some remains. It is situated at the meeting of three roads, and consists of one long street, containing 82 houses, most of which are well built and roofed with slate ; the inhabitants are supplied with water from a well in the centre of the market area, enclosed at the expense of the Countess of Belvidere, who is proprietor of the town. To the east rises the high hill of Gnewbaune, near the base of which is Tou, the pleasant seat of H. Pilkington, Esq. ; and in the environs are several handsome seats and pleasing villas. The cotton manufacture was formerly carried on here to a very considerable extent, but is at present discontinued. Fairs are held on the 17th of May and Dec., chiefly for cattle, and are numerously attended ; the market, formerly held by patent, is discontinued. The parish church of Clonfad, a handsome structure in the later English style, with a well-proportioned spire, is situated in the town ; and there is also a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists, built by the Countess of Belvidere. A savings' bank, a charitable loan fund, and a dispensary, have been established ; and there is a ladies' charitable association under the patronage of the Countess of Belvidere, which has been highly beneficial to the poor.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020