All Lewis entries for Clonarney



Clonarney

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Westmeath

CLONARNEY

CLONARNEY, a parish, in the barony of DELVIN, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 1 mile (N. by W.) from Casthetown-Delvin, on the road to Crossakeel ; containing 848 inhabitants, This parish comprises 2168 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act ; the land is principally arable and pasture, with about 50 acres of waste or bog ; here is abundance of limestone. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, and is part of the union of Castletown-Delvin : the tithes amount to £92. 6. 1-. per ann. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Clonmellon. Here is a hedge school, in which 23 boys and 18 girls are educated. There are some remains of the old church, with a cemetery attached.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020