All entries for Carrick



Carrick

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Westmeath

CARRICK

CARRICK, a parish, in the barony of FARTULLAGH, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 5? miles (S. by W.) from Mullingar; containing 576 inhabitants. This parish is situated upon Lough Ennel, by which it is bounded on the north and west, and contains 2115 statute acres, principally under tillage, with very little bog: there is a considerable and sudden elevation of the land above the lough. The seats are Carrick, the residence of W. Fetherston H., Esq.; and Robinstown, of W. D'Arcy Irwin, Esq. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, and is part of the union of Moylisker: the tithes amount to #76. In the R. C. divisions, part of the parish is in the union or district of Fartullagh, and the remainder in that of Mullingar. There is a hedge school, in which about 30 children are taught. Numerous raths are scattered over the parish; near Carrick are the remains of an old church, and near Robinstown those of an old castle.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019