All Lewis entries for Kill St. Nicholas

Kill St. Nicholas

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Waterford


KILL-ST.-NICHOLAS, a parish, partly in the county of the city of WATERFORD, but chiefly in the barony of GUALTIER, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (E.) from Waterford, and on Waterford harbour ; containing, with the town of Passage, 1669 inhabitants. It comprises 2644 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, a very small quantity of bog, and abundance of good building stone. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Waterford, united episcopally, in 1813, to the rectory of Faithlegg, and is in the gift of the Crown: the tithes amount to £208. 12. 3., and of the union to £318. 12. 3. The church is at Passage, and was lately repaired by a grant of £139 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Divine service is also performed, on Sunday evenings, in a school at Passage. There is a glebe of 5a. 2r. lp., but no glebe-house. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parishes of Faithlegg and Killea, and has a chapel at Passage. About 120 children are educated in two public schools, of which the parochial school is aided by the archdeacon and the Marquess of Waterford ; and 45 in two private schools. At Cross there are some vitriolic springs.-See PASSAGE.


PASSAGE (EAST), a small maritime town, in that part of the parish of KILL-ST.-NICHOLAS which is within the county of the city of WATERFORD, in the province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (E.) from Waterford, to which it has a penny post ; containing 306 inhabitants. When Perkin Warbeck abandoned the siege of Waterford, in 1497, he embarked at this place for Cork. A fort here, which commanded the passage up the harbour, was taken in 1649 by a party of Cromwell's army, on commencing the siege of Waterford : the serious inconvenience this produced to the besieged caused Ferral, the governor, to attempt the recovery thereof, but his forces were repulsed by a large body of Cromwell's army. In 1663, the Duke of Ormonde was make governor of the port and town of Passage for life. The town is situated on a narrow piece of lowland between the river Suir and a lofty precipitous hill which overlooks it : the streets are confined and the houses poor and neglected, affording outward evidence of the declining circumstances of the place. It is a constabulary police station, and fairs are held on May 6th, June 12th, Sept. 8th, and Nov. 12th. The parish church stands on the summit of a hill. A block-house, mounted with several great guns, commonly under the command of the governor of Duncannon Fort, about a league distant, on the Wexford side of the river, formerly stood where the old pier or mole now is. The river here affords commodious shelter and anchorage to vessels of large burden, which may, without difficulty, unload at the quay. Passage is partly within the liberties of the county of the city of Waterford, Here is a R. C. chapel, situated in part of the parish of Crook ; also a school in connection with the Hibernian Society.

Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021