All Lewis entries for Kilcoe


More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork


CALVES ISLANDS, in the parishes of KILCOE and SKULL, barony of WEST CARBERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (S. W.) from Ballydehob; containing 86 inhabitants. They are three in number, and are situated at the entrance to Roaringwater bay, off the harbour of Skull the largest, called the Middle Calf, contains 78 statute acres ; the second in size, called the East Calf, contains 75 acres ; and the third, called Leacrer, or the West Calf, 65 acres. There are two families in West Calf, and six in Middle Calf, which belong to the parish of Skull, and five families in East Calf, which forms part of the parish of Kilcoe. The islands are contiguous, lying in a line nearly east and west, about midway between Cape Clear and Long island, and about 5 Irish or 6? British miles from the mainland. A school was established in 1835 on the Middle island, in which all the children and adults of these islands may receive gratuitous education ; 18 children and 14 adults were in this school at the commencement of 1836.


KILCOE, a parish, in the Western Division of the barony of WEST CARBERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (W.) from Skibereen, on the river Roaring Water, and the road to Rock Island; containing 2316 inhabitants. It comprises 3232 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £2030 per annum. The surface is rocky and uneven, and not more than one-third of the land is in cultivation; the remainder consists of bare rocks of clay-slate, intermixed with small tracts of bog; the land under tillage is chiefly in small patches amidst the rocks, and is generally cultivated by the spade; the manure is brought to it on the backs of horses, and the produce carried off in the same manner; some of the higher grounds afford tolerable pasturage for young cattle. The scenery is wild, and marked with features of rugged grandeur; the glen, through which the river rushes with furious impetuosity, forming numerous cataracts in its progress to the bay to which it gives name, abounds with young and thriving plantations, and is finely contrasted with the sterility around it. In this romantic glen is Roaring Water House, the residence of J. OSullivan, Esq., who has erected mills, corn stores, and quays on the banks of the river; and Greenmount, of Capt. Long. Two manorial courts are held here monthly, by the seneschals of the bishop of Ross and Thos. Hungerford, Esq., respectivcly. The parish is in the diocese of Ross; the rectory is partly impropriate in Lord Riversdale, and partly constitutes a portion of the archdeaconry of Ross; the vicarage is united with that of Cape Clear, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £300, of which half is payable to the impropriator and the archdeacon, and half to the vicar. The church, a small edifice, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £600, is nearly in the centre of the parish. There is neither glebe-house nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Aghadown: the chapel is a large edifice, situated near the Roaring Water. About 60 children are taught in the parochial school, and there is a private school, in which are about 80 children. On a point of land at the head of Roaring Water bay are the extensive remains of Kilcoe castle, built by the McCartys, lords of Clandermot, and consisting principally of a large massive square tower, with a small turret; and at no great distance, close to the shore, are the ruins of the old parish church. Several swords and spear-heads of bronze were found in 1825, by some labourers quarrying stone; they were all in good pre-servation.


MANNIN, an island, in the parish of KILCOE, Western Division of the barony of WEST CARBERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 8 miles (W.) from Skibbereen, on the south-western coast ; containing 15 inhabitants. It is situated near the head of Roaring Water bay, immediately off Kilcoe Castle, and comprising about 29 statute acres of good arable land. -See KILCOE.

Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021