All entries for Clonoe



Clonoe

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Tyrone

CLONOE

CLONOE, a parish, in the barony of DUNGANNON, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, 2 miles (S. by E.) from Stewartstown, on the road to Lurgan ; containing 5555 inhabitants, and comprising, according to the Ordnance survey, 12,070? statute acres, of which 29? are part of the Blackwater, and 2940? are part of Lough Neagh (called Washing bay), by which the parish is bounded on the east. A large tract of marshy ground and bog extends from the shore of the lough to the Blackwater, and the remainder is good arable and pasture land. Near the north-western extremity of the parish are the extensive ruins of Mountjoy castle, built by the Earl of Mountjoy, when lord-deputy of Ireland, in 1601, to check the Earl of Tyrone. This castle, which was built of brick made on the spot, is situated on a gentle eminence close to the shore of the lake, and was thought of so much importance, on the plantation of Ulster, that Jas. I. made this place a corporate borough, and granted 300 acres of land for its support, and 300 acres more to maintain a garrison, In the war of 1641 it was taken by Turlogh O'Nial, who kept possession of it till his total defeat by Gen. Monroe, in 1643 ; it was dismantled by order of parliament in 1648, since which time it has been in ruins. The Earl of Tyrone built a strong castle on the shore of Lough Neagh, towards the close of the 16th century, and called it Fuith-na-gael, of the " Abomination of the Stranger ;" but it was soon after taken by the English, and no traces of it remain.

The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Provost and Fellows of Trinity College, Dublin : the tithes amount to #461.10. 9?. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of #200 and a loan of #550 from the late Board of First Fruits : the glebe comprises 78 acres, The church is a small ancient edifice ; it was repaired in 1699, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted #197. 6. for its further repair. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church ; there are two chapels, one at Clonoe and one at Mountjoy ; the latter was built in 1835. The parochial school is aided by the rector ; a manor school is supported by A. Annesley, Esq., lord of the manor, at whose expense a large and handsome school-house was erected ; there is also a school at Aughamullan. In these schools are about 170 children ; and there is a pay school, in which are about 70 children. The late Dr. E. Sill bequeathed his estate, called Barn Hill, at Stewartstown, together with all his real and personal property, to build and support an hospital in this parish, at Washing bay, near the influx of a stream called the " Holy River" into Lough Neagh ; the funded property exceeded #3000, and the lands produce more than #100 per annum, but no hospital has yet been built.

COAL ISLAND

COAL ISLAND, a post-town, partly in the parishes of DONOGHENRY and CLONOE, but chiefly in that of TULLYNISKAN, barony of DUNGANNON, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (N. E.) from Dungannon : the population is returned with the respective parishes. This flourishing trading village is situated in the centre of the Tyrone coal field, on the roads from Dungannon to Ballinderry, and from Lurgan to Stewartstown : it comprises 184 houses, which are generally well built with stone and covered with slate, and has a sub-post-office to Dungannon. The coal district extends from Mullaghmoyle, on the north, to Dungannon on the south, a distance of six miles, with an average breadth of two. Great difficulty is found in working it, owing to the softness of the bed on which it rests, and the dangerous state of the roof, unless expensively propped. At present the mining operations are confined to Drumglass, in the neighbourhood of Dungannon, and the vicinity of Coal Island : the collieries at the latter place are on a small scale, and principally worked by manual labour, but are moderately profitable. Coal Island originated in the formation of the Tyrone canal, which was begun by Government in 1744, and was intended to intersect the entire coal field of Tyrone, but was not carried beyond this place. The canal is not more than three miles in length from the river Blackwater, which it joins near Lough Neagh, to Coal Island, but it has been commenced and partially completed in several places westward ; bridges have been erected over the line ; an aqueduct of three large arches was to have conveyed it over the Terren ; and a rail-road was to have connected it with some of the minor collieries, for which purpose a viaduct, here called "the Dry Hurry," was thrown over the Cooks-town road, two miles from Dungannon. All these edifices are of hewn freestone, handsomely finished and in good preservation ; but in many places the canal is filled up and cultivated, so that in a few years the line will not be traceable. This is now a place of considerable trade, and has 35 large lighters, or barges, which frequently make coasting voyages to Dublin, and sometimes across the channel to Scotland. Extensive iron-works, forges, and plating-mills were erected here in 1831, and there are others at Oghran and New Mills for the manufacture of spades, edge-tools, &c. Here is also an extensive establishment for the manufacture of fire-bricks and crucibles, commenced in 1834 by two gentlemen from Stourbridge, in Worcestershire. Most of the manufactured articles are sent to London or Liverpool. Near this is a pottery, and there is also a flour-mill, where 2000 tons of wheat are annually ground for the Belfast market. Bleach-greens have been established at Derryvale, Terren Hill, and New Mills, where 20,000 pieces of linen are annually finished for the English market. Several warehouses, granaries, yards, and other conveniences for carrying on an extensive trade are placed round a small but convenient basin , and in the village and its vicinity are the residences of several wealthy merchants. The exports are coal, spades, shovels, fire-bricks, fire-clay, crucibles, earthen-ware, linen cloth, wheat, oats, flour, &c. : the imports are timber, deals, iron, salt, slates, glass, &c. The village being in three parishes, has three churches within two miles of it, and a district church is about to be erected for its use. The R. C. chapel for the parish of Donoghenry is not far distant.

COGLANSTOWN.-See TULLY.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019