All Lewis entries for Twomileborris



Twomileborris

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Tipperary

BORRISLEIGH

BORRISLEIGH, or TWO-MILE BURRIS, a parish, in the barony of ELIOGARTY, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 3- miles (S. S. E) from Thurles; containing, with the town of Littleton, 3020 inhabitants. This parish is situated at the junction of the roads leading respectively from Johnstown to Cashel, and from Killenaule and Thurles to New Birmingham; it

comprises 7988 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £5702 per annum. Within its limits is a small portion of the Bog of Allen, and the river Liscaveen forms a boundary between it and the parish of Ballymoreen. The village, which is small, is the property of Sir Hugh Nugent O'Reilly, and is only remarkable for the ruins of a church and castle, and the remains of a Danish fort, all within a few yards of each other. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, united from a period prior to any known record to the vicarages of Boly or Galvoly and Drom, and to the chapelry of Leogh, together constituting the union of Borrisleigh and the corps of the treasurership in the cathedral of Cashel, in the patronage of the Archbishop: the tithes amount to

£600, and of the benefice to £738. 1. 6-. The church is a handsome edifice, partly in the later English style, and was enlarged by aid of a loan of £1000 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1820; and another loan of £923 was granted for its repair in 1828. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 30 acres, the latter subject to a rent; in the parish of Drom is also a glebe of 42a. 1r. 19p., statute measure, leased at £30. 9. 3., with a renewal fine of £6. 10. per annum. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Moykarkey. The parochial school is supported by the rector, who contributes £20 per annum; and another school is maintained by private subscription. In these schools about 90 boys and 50 girls are instructed; and there are three pay schools, in which are about 100 boys and 80 girls.-See LITTLETON.

LITTLETON

LITTLETON, a post-town, in the parish of BOARISLEIGH, barony of ELIOGARTY, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (E.) from Thurles, and 79 (S.) from Dublin, on the road by Cashel to Cork ; containing 44 houses and 283 inhabitants. This place is of modern date, having been chiefly erected by the late Rev. Thomas Grady, who expended considerable sums on its buildings, and in the ornamental improvements of the vicinity: it is now the property of Valentine Maher, Esq. Here are a station of the constabulary police, a public dispensary, and the parochial church, which is a handsome structure with a tower and spire.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021