All entries for Durrus



Durrus

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork

DURRUS-KILCROHANE

DURRUS-KILCROHANE, a parish, partly in the barony of BANTRY, but chiefly in the Western Division of the barony of WEST CANNERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (S. S. W.) from Bantry, on the road to Dunmanus bay ; containing 5290 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the south side of the bay of Bantry, and comprises 9793 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at #3716 per annum ; 2562 acres are arable, 622 pasture, and 50 bog, the remainder being coarse land. The surface is very uneven, and in some parts rises into mountains of considerable elevation, but, although parts are rocky and bare, cultivation extends, and much of the waste land is reclaimable. The principal manure used is sea-sand, which is brought up the bay and landed at many little creeks on both sides of it. The bay is a remarkable inlet, extending from Sheeps-head to Four-mile-water, a distance of 16 miles, and deep enough for the largest ships, which are occasionally driven in by adverse winds. A manor court for the recovery of debts under 40s. is held once a month ; and petty sessions every fortnight. At Carrigboy there is a constabulary police station. The gentlemen's seats are Four-mile-water Court, that of the Rev. Alleyn Evanson ; Ardoguina, of R. T. Evanson, Esq. ; O'Donovan's Cove, of T. O'Donovan, Esq. ; Blair's Cove, of R. L. Blair, Esq. ; Fort Lodge, of R. O'Donovan, Esq. ; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. E. J. Alcock. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cork, united in 1792, by act of council, with that of Kilcrohane, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Donoughmore: the tithes amount to #350, of which #170 is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar ; and the entire tithes of the benefice amount to #415. There are two glebes, one in Durrus of 51a. 2r. 7p., the other in Kilcrohane of 5a. 1r. 35p. The church, near Four-mile-water, is a neat building, erected in 1792 by aid of a gift of #500 from the late Board of First Fruits ; the tower was considerably raised and embattled in 1830. The R. C. union or district is co-extensive with that of the Established Church ; there are three chapels, one of which is near Four-mile.water, another at Aghakisky, and the third in Kilcrohane, There is also a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Here are five public schools, in which about 520 children are taught. The only remains of antiquity are the ruins of Rossmore castle. Near Friendly Cove is a strong chalybeate spring efficacious in liver complaints.

KILCROHANE

KILCROHANE, or MUNTEBARRA, a parish, in the West Division of the barony of WEST CARBERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 14 miles (S. W.) from Bantry, on the southern coast ; containing 4317 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated between the bays of Dunmanus and Bantry, forms a peninsula terminating in Sheep's Head, and comprises 13,230 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at #2247 per annum. Of these, 9168 acres are mountain, 1667 coarse pasturage, 2125 arable, 260 good pasture land, and about 10 acres bog. The soil is generally rocky and unproductive, and much of the land is uncultivated; its exposed situation between the bays lays it open to the full force of the westerly and north-westerly winds, and is very unfavourable to agricultural improvement. A ridge of mountains of clay-slate intersects the parish from east to west, and on the highest point is a signal tower, communicating with those of Bere island and Three-Castle Head. There are several small lakes ; manganese is found in different places, and there are indications of copper ore, and abundance of slate of good quality, but no attempt has yet been made to work any of these minerals. The only seat is O'Donovan's Cove, the residence of T. O'Donovan, Esq; Sheep's Head is situated in 51? 32' (N. Lat.) and 9? 39' (W. Lon.), and is 4 miles (N. N. E.) from Three-Castle Head ; between them is the entrance to Dunmanus bay, The parish is in the diocese of Cork ; the rectory is impropriate in Lord Riversdale, and the vicarage forms part of the union of Durrus. The tithes amount to #370, of which #135 is payable to the impropriator and the remainder to the vicar ; the glebe comprises 5? acres. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; the chapel is a small plain edifice. On the shore of Dunmanus bay are the ruins of the old parish church, and near it are the remains of the ancient castle of the O'Donovans, built in the 16th century.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019