All Lewis entries for Rochestown



Rochestown

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Tipperary

ROCHESTOWN

ROCHESTOWN, a parish, in the barony of IFFA and OFFA WEST, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 2- miles (S. by E.) from Cahir, on the river Suir ; containing 411 inhabitants. It comprises 966 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Rochestown, the seat of S. Barton, Esq., is beautifully situated near the banks of the river, commanding a fine view of the Clogheen mountains. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Lismore, forming part of the union of Ardfinnan: the tithes amount to £95. In the R. C. divisions also it is part of the union or district of Ardfin nan. About 100 children are educated in a private school. There are some remains of an ancient church and castle, with several forts or raths usually attributed to the Danes.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020